3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM
My typical daily route, which is to work or home from work, only about 7 miles each way. Mostly freeway driving at 65-70mph. No econ mode. A/C on on the way home. Ignore the previous drive, which was probably me leaving to grab lunch and hitting 10+ stoplights in a 2 mile drive.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Fuel consumption/ low beams too low

I am driving a brand new 2015 FIT with less than 400 miles. My first gas-up resulted in a combined MPG of 39.5 (that's miles per gallon). I'm pretty impressed! I will post the MPG again next week when I take a highway trip.

The low beams were factory set SO LOW that I couldn't see an off-ramp when driving at night ..... easily adjusted at the top of the headlight housing ... there is a bolt with a crown washer on each headlight .... drove up to a brick building with low beams on and adjusted each up several inches. So far no one is flashing their high beams at me. I will include some pics of this adjustment next time I post a message.

Loving this little car!!!!

LX Model, 6-speed, white

Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz
......driving a brand new 2015 FIT with less than 400 miles.......combined MPG of 39.5.......I will include some pics of this adjustment next time....Loving this little car!!!!
LX Model, 6-speed, white
Congrats on having good taste!!! WOP LX M/T??? Only blessed people drive this set-up!!!!

Your selling dealer must have done a trade with mine!!!

39.5MPG. This performance seems very repetitive with the FF GK owners. Either getting or surpassing EPA #'s. Just am loving these results.

Will wait for your pic post on the headlight adjustment, plus we get to see your new wheels. Drive on!!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
I found the readout on the infotainment screen, and the last two drives were 29 and 30 mpg, so my average is now up to 26.3.

I had an exchange with another 2015 Fit owner in my town, and we drive similarly - once every few days, jump in the car, drive 10-20 minutes and park. So the car never warms up, and we're stoplight to stoplight. In fact he's getting 20 mpg on his 2015 Fit. Like d0ggnates' 25 mpg drive.

In the last 2 1/2 weeks I've put 150 miles on the car, so I feel some better with the last drives and given my conversation. However, still nowhere near the results others are getting.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
Short hops are the worst. Good gas mileage never comes out of that. I weaned myself off of caring much over the last year. What I do is a reset when I know I'll be on the highway and the number goes up nicely. Then, I just don't reset anymore, or for long while. The number eventually creeps back down to suburban driving but remains high. In a week or so it gets more and more solid, changing very little. So around town it'll hold at 30-31 and hardly budge. The number looks good and allows me to take my mind off of it. Minding the average readout can be as distracting as a phone call. Drive well and let it go. Your brain will thank you for it. I am not a fan of any green/blue lights reflecting my driving either. That should be an option to turn off.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Shockwave199. I was feeling pretty down that my Fit was defective since I also have airbag sensor issues, but I get that it's okay.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Last tank got 36.9, a/c on combined driving. MPG indicator showed 39 mpg. Off by 5%. Better than the 09's when they came out, which were off by 15%. They had a programming fix that took care of it, and it was dead on after that. Still can't figure out why Honda can't get theirs as accurate as other manufacturers out of the box

Old 07-17-2014, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
Last tank got 36.9, a/c on combined driving. MPG indicator showed 39 mpg. Off by 5%. Better than the 09's when they came out, which were off by 15%. They had a programming fix that took care of it, and it was dead on after that. Still can't figure out why Honda can't get theirs as accurate as other manufacturers out of the box
My Hyundai Sonata was off about 7.5%, so I'm seeing 5% as a step in the right direction. If they had gotten the 09 models to be dead on, too bad the same approach couldn't have just been implemented in the current model.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by chrisjones
My Hyundai Sonata was off about 7.5%, so I'm seeing 5% as a step in the right direction. If they had gotten the 09 models to be dead on, too bad the same approach couldn't have just been implemented in the current model.
It took a concerted effort from the members of this forum. MANY of us called and complained. They ended up doing a download at the dealers. I just find it odd that they didn't do it right this time. My Chevy and now departed Solstice are dead on. That said, 5% ain't bad. Makes you feel good, till you calculate it!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 PM
I don't understand why they cant get this right on cars, they are driven by computers, simply measure the fuel used and divide the mileage by it.

Last edited by tmfit; 07-18-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 07-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I dont understand why they cant get this right on cars, they are driven by computers, simply measure the fuel used and divide the mikeage by it.
I would guess it just doesn't seem like a high priority. But, some makers do get it right.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 AM
My first tank averaged about 39.5 and I'm about 130 miles into my second tank and I'm averaging between 43 and 44 mpg. I drive at least 50 miles/day. I average about 44 going to work city and about 46 going home on the highway

Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
I would guess it just doesn't seem like a high priority. But, some makers do get it right.
Honda and Hyundai seem to be manipulating the results - they want people to think they're getting better MPG that they're actually getting. Thus they try to build in some "optimism" into their MPG readouts. In the end it seems to have mostly backfired as complains have made them bring in the numbers more inline, but they still tend to push it a bit on the positive side.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Headlight Adjustment

I wanted to post images of the headlight adjustment for the 2015 FIT .... any help on how to post images?https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/imag...s/confused.gif

images are not on any website ... they're on my computer

Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Have been able to keep the AC off the past couple of days cause it's been GORGEOUS on the east coast.

My own rule of my car is when I don't have the AC on I put ECON on as much as I can, so it's been on for the past 48-72 hrs of driving.

Getting 42 mpg average! So happy!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:13 PM
BMO
I was planning to do this whole tank on econ mode to see what the savings were. I turned it off 10 miles later (couldn't handle it!). When I did, the car felt SO FAST.
Now I know how to trick myself into making the Fit feel sportier

Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by BMO
I was planning to do this whole tank on econ mode to see what the savings were. I turned it off 10 miles later (couldn't handle it!). When I did, the car felt SO FAST.
Now I know how to trick myself into making the Fit feel sportier
LOL, yeah Eco mode is pretty much a joke, did you try it with cruise on? It takes 3-4 times as long to get up to speed. It is like a hypermiler mode.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 PM
One thing odd I've noticed is not only is the CPU reported mileage off, the range is off in the opposite direction. For example, I had the MPG indicator showing 38mpg and range indicator reporting 25 miles left when the fuel light came on, however on fill-up, I still had about 2.5 gallons left which would be around 70 miles, not 25. I'm guessing it's probably slightly "pessimistic" for legal reasons.... still would be nice if it were more accurate.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Well besides all the extra gadgets, a big reason to buy a 2015 fit is much improved gas mileage over previous generations- at least for fit owners. Is it better on gas, or isn't it? Can it only get much better numbers in econ mode, or will regular mode without econ still get you good numbers?

Old 07-19-2014, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
I've noticed my Civic will say I have about a gallon left (based on range) and I can only fill with 10 gallons (12 + gallon tank). So the low fuel light, range and everything seems to be set higher.

Is anyone here using RFG? I live in Louisville, KY and we have the wonderful double whammy of paying about 50 cents more than surrounding areas for gas that lops off at least a few MPGs. When we go on trips I'm always amazed at how we get a much longer range on gas from Tennessee and other states.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions