3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Odie
Pics please .
Pics of what? It is just a silver '15 M/T.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Am getting over 300 miles a tank with LX/MT

Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
Not only is this good news, now know I made the right decision last Feb. in placing my deposit. Since you younger guys can control your bodies better than I can, I forecast my gas foot can at least achieve 35mpg with the a/c on - okay our rolling roads - 33mpg. Cops here are pretty stiff on speeding and I hardly ever go over 70 mph. Its usually 60 - 65.
I'd get better than the 35.7 or so that I'm avaraging if this part of Georgia were flatter. We have too many of both the rolling hills and the really long gradual ones where for nearly a mile you're going a downhill and then you spend the next mile going uphill to more than kill whatever you just added to your average MPG. These valleys are murder on the gas mileage.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
...How did you get that display on your GPS? I have a Garmin that connects to the car's computer, but I haven't seen that display.
The Android phone mounted on my dashboard is running an app called Torque which displays custom gauges read from the ECU by means of a bluetooth dongle plugged into the OBD port. The Torque app can export logs which include latitude and longitude read from the phone's GPS as well as ECU metrics, which I imported into Google Fusion tables and Google Earth to make those maps.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TCroly
Well done!
Clearly you have an handle on measuring your fuel economy. I hope that you might set up a test to determine the effectiveness of the Eco button. And perhaps one to quantify the fuel economy impact of A/C on and off and A/C working hard and not working hard.
I'm also interested in the effect of the Econ button. I have had it on since leaving the dealership, but I'd really love to know in quantitative terms what it's doing for me.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM
I would be happy to collect data on the econ button but I can't think of a good way to test this. I live in a hilly area with unpredictable traffic. Can anybody think of a good way to test the effectiveness of the econ button?

I should leave the AC on because the econ button probably produces significant savings just by cycling the compressor on and off. I should heat up the car to operating temperature first, then perform three trials with the econ button and three trials without. But each trial would have to be at least several miles for an adequate sample. But I'm not sure what route I could drive that would not introduce confounding variables like congestion and red lights. Not to mention wind and rain.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by simonx314
I would be happy to collect data on the econ button but I can't think of a good way to test this. I live in a hilly area with unpredictable traffic. Can anybody think of a good way to test the effectiveness of the econ button?
Very true -- variable traffic is going to be the part of this which makes it difficult to get any sort of reliable comparison. I guess unless you have a test track or whatever machine they run the car on to simulate road driving under very consistent conditions, this may not be practical. Your best hope would be enough days with and without to average the traffic and hope that the traffic itself does average out to a comparable level over the course of several days or a week for each setting. And then, in the end, we would only be able to assume that this was true as there isn't going to be an objective way of measuring traffic differences from one sample to the next.

If you were to take a shot at this, I'd suggest maybe only averaging the drives in the morning when you're facing lighter traffic more often, giving something closer to the ability to measure a comparable drive. That is, maybe measure one week's mornings with and one week's mornings without. Take the average MPG for the 5 morning trips with Econ and the average MPG for the 5 trips without it.

There is probably something I have missed, but this is the best I can think of.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Stingray , pics of the gas mileage from the computer screen .

Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Short of a very long term test or a side-by-side comparison I don't see any effective way to test this feature. Honda isn't very helpful with their vague description of the button's function. Why can't they just say what the button does in plain terms?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Short of a very long term test or a side-by-side comparison I don't see any effective way to test this feature. Honda isn't very helpful with their vague description of the button's function. Why can't they just say what the button does in plain terms?
Everybody turn on your ECON button and then let's see if the price of oil falls. Tomorrow everybody turn it off and we can watch if the price of oil rises.

I know for sure the ECON button lights up a green leaf near the gauges... wait that little light bulb drains energy which is sourced from gasoline. This whole thing sounds fishy.

Seriously though, to provide some actual information, I can only exceed 50 MPG with the AC off. If the AC is on the best I can do is mid-40s. This is a 15 mile route, mostly highway, driving slow like a hypermiler, little net elevation change.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I think it may be a small...VERY small improvement but unless you were a hyper miler all it will do it tick you off. It decreases AC efficiency and if you are in cruise and and kick it out and turn it back on it will take forEVER to get back up to speed. So it it kind of like hypermiling itself.

I have tried to test it but without having a 100 mile long perfectly flat stretch with exacting wind conditions I don't think you could reasonably make a decision on if it helps. I think it is just a feelgood toy.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I think it may be a small...VERY small improvement but unless you were a hyper miler all it will do it tick you off. It decreases AC efficiency and if you are in cruise and and kick it out and turn it back on it will take forEVER to get back up to speed. So it it kind of like hypermiling itself.

I have tried to test it but without having a 100 mile long perfectly flat stretch with exacting wind conditions I don't think you could reasonably make a decision on if it helps. I think it is just a feelgood toy.
Yea, it seems like being a hypermiler already, I tend to drive slow anyway, but somebody who drives more aggressively would probably get more saving from ECON mode because it would help them slow down.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
The Android phone mounted on my dashboard is running an app called Torque which displays custom gauges read from the ECU by means of a bluetooth dongle plugged into the OBD port. The Torque app can export logs which include latitude and longitude read from the phone's GPS as well as ECU metrics, which I imported into Google Fusion tables and Google Earth to make those maps.
Ah, yes. I remember that app. I use the same connector with my Garmin GPS.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, it seems like being a hypermiler already, I tend to drive slow anyway, but somebody who drives more aggressively would probably get more saving from ECON mode because it would help them slow down.
How did you get Fuelly to appear with your posts? I specified this URL, but it isn't showing up.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
How did you get Fuelly to appear with your posts? I specified this URL, but it isn't showing up.
Testing - I made a change to Fuelly.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
I find the car to be smoother with the ECON button on. Whether it yields much in the way of mileage I have no real idea given how I drive. I did get over 50 mpg with A/C on medium on an hour long drive a week ago, but my average is inching toward 30 with all the short hops we take. Still, I think 30 is terrific for 10 minute drives with 4 stoplights.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Go to your fuelly.com, then go to the page for your Fit. At the bottom right you will see a link to "Share Your MPG" and you will see some code for badges that you paste into your forum signature here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/prof...=editsignature

Originally Posted by exl500
...I did get over 50 mpg with A/C on medium on an hour long drive a week ago...
50 MPG with the AC on??? What sorcery is this? Are you dropping elevation? How fast are you driving?

Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Totally flat, 40 mph constant, few lights. Mind you, if you look at my posts I was the one complaining about low mpg until I figured out that my usual jaunts are short and lots of red lights.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Odie
Stingray , pics of the gas mileage from the computer screen .
That trip ended Monday. Filled up and reset. Sorry 'bout that

Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Im still waiting for a trip where i can use an entire tank on the highway. Im hoping for close to 50 hypermiling behind semi's

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions