3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Mileage Related Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 AM
3rd fillup yesterday. I ignore the fuel light that came on somewhere south of 300 miles, and even kept going once the gauge had no bars on it. It did feel like it sputtered a second about a half mile from the gas station but it only took 9.6 gallons. Had 361 miles on that tank for a 37.6 average, while the OBC read 39.4. I definitely drove it harder this tank; more like how I'd drive it on a consistent basis (wringing it out every chance I get). So I'm quite happy with those numbers, especially on an engine with less than 1k on it.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Did my first fill-up on the way home from work today. Dealer supposedly delivered it with a full tank at 6.0 miles (first fill-up on Fuelly, gauge read full and dealer didn't reset trip meters). Today, the low level light came on after the fuel gauge had been on two segments for a few miles--right when it switched to 30 miles left on Range. Filled up two miles later at 28 on range, and 280.3 on the odometer and trip meters, with right at 9.0 gallons at $1.949/gallon (gotta love fuel points). Still on two segments on the gauge.

That's 30.5 mpg where the MPG gauge had been reading 34.1. If it had been getting that, it should've taken only 8.0 gallons. This was all city/suburb, with ECO off and AC on the whole time, tires at 33 psi. I'm betting the dealer wasn't so generous filling it. Second tank will be more telling.
I had the warning light come on only once, with 37 miles of fuel indicated. It took 7.9g when I finally got to a gas station. It's good to know there's still plenty of miles left at two bars.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Qbrozen
3rd fillup yesterday. I ignore the fuel light that came on somewhere south of 300 miles, and even kept going once the gauge had no bars on it. It did feel like it sputtered a second about a half mile from the gas station but it only took 9.6 gallons…
Thanks for that info--it's helpful. Seems the engineers may have calibrated no bars empty high enough to prevent the pump from running dry.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for that info--it's helpful. Seems the engineers may have calibrated no bars empty high enough to prevent the pump from running dry.
That's cutting it close!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
That's cutting it close!
Not as close as having to lay a motorcycle over on it's petcock side to move the remaining gas to that side.

edit: Seriously… when the light comes on, I'm looking for fuel.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
3rd fillup yesterday. I ignore the fuel light that came on somewhere south of 300 miles, and even kept going once the gauge had no bars on it. It did feel like it sputtered a second about a half mile from the gas station but it only took 9.6 gallons.
That's cutting it close!
Burning 9.6 gallons of a 10.6 gallon tank isn't cutting anything close. The only reason I fill up short of 10 gallons used is convenience.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:00 PM
according to my dash i been getting average 35mpg.

i guess that's good considering 90% of my driving is stop and go city driving

Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 AM
To clarify, since this seems to have stirred up a little bit of interest, I drove approximately 10 more miles after going down to zero bars on the gas gauge before filling up with the 9.6 gallons. So, based on this estimate, there is about another 1.25 gallons below where the gas gauge displays. Probably pretty safe to assume 1 gallon since a gauge is just an estimate anyway. Personally, I'll probably be looking for gas with 1 bar remaining in the future, but I'll definitely be disregarding the fuel light.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
record for me is 40 miles past 0 miles remaining. so, that is a whopping 343 miles... car took a smidge over 10gal, 10.1 iirc. i really wish this thing has another gallon in it, or even 2.

fuel blend should be changing soon, so i will be looking at 250~260 miles to the fuel light.

before anyone whines about getting fuel, i was not near fuel at the time. between work and my commute, i drive 70k~80k a year. and a lot of that is to somewhat remote places.

i miss my old civic cx. i put the si tank in it, and i would routinely get 550 miles to a tank. poor thing just rotted out... with the fit, i am getting slightly more then half that.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:26 AM
mpg

I got 36 on my last full up. 2015 ex manual.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Burning 9.6 gallons of a 10.6 gallon tank isn't cutting anything close. The only reason I fill up short of 10 gallons used is convenience.
Your belief is that there is actually a gallon left in the tank when you burned those 9.6 gallons. Other posters have thought that the tank never gets fully filled (some air remains for gas expansion).

Have you actually siphoned out the gas and measured what remains?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
record for me is 40 miles past 0 miles remaining. so, that is a whopping 343 miles... car took a smidge over 10gal, 10.1 iirc.
page 85 of the Owner's manual

NOTICE

You should refuel when the reading approaches E.
Running out of fuel can cause the engine to misfire, damaging the catalytic converter.

The actual amount of remaining fuel may differ from the fuel gauge reading.
You seem to be a gambling man.

I for one do not like the odds (or costs of being on the wrong side that bet) and will start looking for fuel when the low fuel light goes on and will fill up ASAP when the fuel gauge shows no bars.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
CIOWN- Yes, I believe that there's a gallon left after 9.6 gallons. I wouldn't have bought a Honda if I didn't think they could count. Instead of siphoning and measuring, I know what I've put in the tank. On the other hand, I don't like vague gauges. My UltraGauge tells my fuel level to the tenth of a gallon, and if its trip mpg is more optimistic than the mpg the car reports, I go by the car's numbers and fill up sooner.

10 of my fill ups have been 10 gallons or more, and two were over 10.4. It's a good little car.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 PM
First tank on my LX 6MT:
8.361gallons, and that was kind of topping it off because I thought it should have taken more at 353.7miles. Calculated mpg = 42.3. Trip computer mpg = 43.7.
The gas warning light was on, but it may have been because I was parked on a slight decline overnight (nose lower than tail).

Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Something Interesting ... Sum Ting Wong!

Originally Posted by tmfit
Drove till one bar on gage and it took 8.6 gallons, double clicked the pump
I've been driving down to one bar and always double/triple click the pump to be sure I'm topped off for an accurate calculation: 9 or 10 tanks now.

Thought this might interest you. I have a stock LX 6MT and was getting around 39-41 mpg per tank doing 50/50 city/highway: 6 or 7 tanks - my calculation using the trip odometer and gallons used ... the ecm always computes higher.

Recently replaced my 15" steelies with 16" alloy wheels/tires from an EX: now getting 35-36 mpg (last two tanks) ... definitely didn't expect to drop 4-5 mpg.

Going back to the stock-steel 15" wheels tomorrow and will report results when I fill up again.

Last edited by cheesewhiz; 10-20-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 PM
I just had my third fill-up. Total is 918 miles using 25.5 gal for 36MPG. The first tank was not using eco. The last 2 used eco. Stop at first click on pump. My second tank took 8.2 gal for 310 miles. Third tank 8.6 gal for 310 miles.
Car is LX CVT #22335. Since delivery on Sept 6 have only driven 918 miles as of 10-22. Really like this car.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
To clarify, since this seems to have stirred up a little bit of interest, I drove approximately 10 more miles after going down to zero bars on the gas gauge before filling up with the 9.6 gallons. So, based on this estimate, there is about another 1.25 gallons below where the gas gauge displays. Probably pretty safe to assume 1 gallon since a gauge is just an estimate anyway. Personally, I'll probably be looking for gas with 1 bar remaining in the future, but I'll definitely be disregarding the fuel light.
That fuel tank has a rated capacity, but no one stops filling when the tank is full. How would you know? We stop when the pump clicks off, and that happens when the fuel rises into the filler neck. So, if a tank is rated at 10 gallons, the car holds more than that.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Got 36 mpg on my second tank, which included a fair amount of city driving plus 2 trips to the local mountains with a total elevation gain of about 5,000 feet. So, I'm quite happy so far. This was using plain unleaded so next tank I'm going to put in premium and see if that boosts the mileage.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kbonus
Got 36 mpg on my second tank, which included a fair amount of city driving plus 2 trips to the local mountains with a total elevation gain of about 5,000 feet. So, I'm quite happy so far. This was using plain unleaded so next tank I'm going to put in premium and see if that boosts the mileage.
I'm trying to keep my average at 44+ mpg, but with colder weather, shorter trips, and all these hills, it's been dropping. I drive to get good mileage, but my son just drives, and he's averaging 40+.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:03 PM
It is highly likely that fuel mileage will differ. That is why there is both city and highway mpg available. Additionally, another factor is the way an individual drives (i.e. whether they excel at a fast or moderate pace) Also, it depends on which year your Honda Fit is. It's best to measure mileage against a listing like cars.com. For example here is the mileage for a 2015 Honda Fit. Not only is there a range between the city and hwy but there's also a range within those two categories.

I hope this helps,
Your local Virginia Honda Dealer.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Related Discussions