Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)***

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks a bunch! Has anyone done this on the GE? i heard you had to move the MAF/IAT but that doesnt seem too hard. is it still the same size?

Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Look under the accessories you'll find the parts.

AutoZone.com | Spectre

Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 AM
MAF can be tricky. The calibration of the thing is dependent on the airspeed moving across it because it is assumed to be a certain volume of air moving through a known pipe diameter. Put the MAF into a bigger pipe, engine runs lean because the air slows down, the measuring thermistor gets hotter, and the ecu thinks less air is moving in.

Then you have the base to screw it down on, etc.

Onto another topic... was skimming through old camera stuff and found this vid I took of the SSR in action. There's a noise here that shouldn't be. What's that at 4500 rpm?

for ease of watching
YouTube - MOV01543.MPG

Still miss that growl.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
i just put mine in. love the look, sound, and performance. good look sid.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Has anyone done this on a ge8 if so same parts anything different I plan on doing this in 12 hours so I really wanna know plz any one down to help I live in Montclair hit me up

Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Just finished this up on my car w/a 90 degree and a 45 degree bend. Might eventually switch out to a K & N filter but so far I'm happy with what I got.

As long as I don't punch it, it's not too shabby. So once I stop gunning it, I'll let ya know how it goes. Makes me wanna go all Ricky Bobby now....

Definitely can feel a difference in a good way!

Thanks again for the write up Sid!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
NOOB QUESTION:

How do you connect the 2 90degree intake tubes together? We dont have Autozones in canada, so i'm trying to find all the stuff i need on amazon. Does a connector come with the tube?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Anybody in Nova want one? I recently took mine off $20? I probably had it for like 6k miles

Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crash001
Has anyone done this on a ge8 if so same parts anything different I plan on doing this in 12 hours so I really wanna know plz any one down to help I live in Montclair hit me up
I want one, too bad I too have a GE. Anyone want to try and make one? All I know is that you need to buy an adapter for the MAF and drill that into the pipe. haha. If someone that knows a lot about cars and intake, can you guys put some ideas here?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Just crossed the border, grabbed the parts, and put it on the other night!
The sound is grrrrrreat, and not that loud unless youre pushing it, which is great. Nobody will really hear it unless I want them to.

Ill take pics under the hood soon!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Here she be!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Will it pass smog?

Just wondering if anyone has failed passing smog test with the SSR?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by byungkuk
Anybody in Nova want one? I recently took mine off $20? I probably had it for like 6k miles
Why did you take your SSRI off?

Old 06-06-2010, 07:22 PM
has anyone in Canada had experience with this?

i am interested to know where we can get these parts, and if the PCV breather can pass drive clean.... i dont think it can.

might have to put another hole in the 90deg elbow..

anyone know where to get these parts if we cant get across the border?

Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Caution_NoobDriver
has anyone in Canada had experience with this?

i am interested to know where we can get these parts, and if the PCV breather can pass drive clean.... i dont think it can.

might have to put another hole in the 90deg elbow..

anyone know where to get these parts if we cant get across the border?
Yes i did! I took everything in a turbo dealer, just search for a place where they install turbos everything comes either from vibrant performance or k&n except maybe for stainless steel collars
As for the breather, i simply installed a breather filter.
Here's a pick of my install:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Then i just cut the pieces sticking out on the collars, the reason i took them longer is to have less slits on the collar, as somebody told me it can damage the silicone couplers...

If you have any further questions feel free to PM me!

Last edited by cr4zy3lgato; 06-06-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: f**king huge pic XD
Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 PM
beauty, thanks man.

know any good turbo shops in the GTA :P

i might have to go to mcmaster-carr for the bends to mock it up, then weld at a friends machine shop. ... go high$ on the cheapo SRI, lol

Old 07-18-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm planning on putting mine back in but I'm kind of hesitating since the paint inside in one of the pipe peeled. Also another concern is the other part/tube where you put the small cone filter, doesn't that tube have to be reconnected back to the bigger pipe like what I see on other short rams like Fujita SRI?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Also I'm concerned about the heat if the SSRI will be able to stand the high temp of the engine bay without a heat shield?

Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Although I am not a mechanical engineer, I do have almost 20 years in modifying vehicles, and even being the general manager of a speed shop. So I would say I do have some experience.

That being said, I would no recommend re-installing a tube that is peeling on the inside. You really don't want a piece to get sucked into the intake/engine.

The small metal pipe where you install the small filter is just a breather line. It simply equalizes the pressure in the manifold. It hooks up to the factory intake tube right behind the factory filter. All you are doing is moving from one big filter to a small one.

And honestly, I've never noticed any extreme heat soaking of the piping. It is just a chrome plated plastic, not solid metal. So it won't soak up a ton of heat like aluminum.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM
problem

hey guys,

I found a shop in the East end of the GTA that sells the exact parts (same spectre brand and everything), so i built one and put it on. I have a few questions now that i have had time to get used to it and put it through it's paces.

My throttle response is horrible, and it feels like i have lost quite a few horsepower. i used to be able to squawk the tires into second gear, but with the SSR on, no dice. as soon as i took it off and put the stock airbox on, i can squawk them again.
it also destroyed my fuel economy. i was up around 40-42 mpg's, and now with this i am back to 30-ish.
what happened? and ideas? it seems like its having trouble breathing but its all the same as yours.

please help.
thanks
-J

Old 07-31-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
love the sound and performance from this, for under $70 its worth every penny

Name:  intake3.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  36.3 KB
Name:  intake2.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  35.8 KB