Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)***

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
Don't worry if you get a CEL (check engine light) This is a normal thing that happens anytime you unplug the IAT. Make triple sure you plugged you IAT back in properly, and drive around for a few miles. After cycling through the stop/start engine procedure, the CEL will clear on it's own. No need to go to the dealer, unless it were to stay on for some reason for several days. So far, everyone's CEL has cleared, if they ever got one to start with.
Actually this is NOT a normal occurrence. I've installed numerous intake systems on a number of different vehicles, my Civic and Fit included, and if the intake was correctly installed, you should not receive a Check Engine Light.

Proper installation should include having the vehicle completely turned off, and should also include the disconnection of the negative terminal on your battery. Once you've completed the intake installation, reconnect the battery and start your vehicle. At this point do not touch the gas, and allow the vehicle to idle for a number of minutes. This will allow the now resetted ECU to recaculate itself for your latest addition.

If you're infact getting a CEL, you will only be extremely disapointed with the overall "performance gains" from your intake installation. While the Check Engine Light is on, your vehicle will be running in a "limp" diagnostic mode, and you will also notice a decrease in your fuel economy.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
What I stated is accurate.

It is possible that you could do everything correct, and still trip a temporary CEL that resets itself within minutes.

This should not cause you to panic or be alarmed. Allow the engine to run for a few minutes and the CEL will go away. And you won't be in 'limp' mode at that time.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Ha ha ha!! This is awesome, as soon as I saw this thread I knew I had to run to Autozone and get me one. It's already dark outside, will wait till tomorrow to install it. Mad props to Sid for saving us some money on this custom intake! I think it'll work just as good as any other after market intake out there..can't beat it for $64.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
..disregard this post..

Last edited by fit-aficionado; 05-14-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, got it..

A few words about bout the install and my review of the intake:
1) For the install, I removed about two lines from the rubber piece that mounts on the TB since the 90 degree bend was way to close to the battery; didn't even have to move the battery after that.
2) I think two 90 degree bends are placed much easier in the engine bay than one 90 and one 45, so I will replace the terminal 45 by anoter 90 later on.
3) Took me about 1 hour altogether..the intake sounds great, I get a better throttle reponse and definately feel the little jump lol over the stock intake.
So to resume, this is a great knock off intake, way worth the $64!

Last edited by fit-aficionado; 05-14-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
Ok, so I've read through this thread and a few others, and I haven't seen anyone angle the intake down toward the radiator fan. I know originally this was created as a short ram intake, but is there a different reason no one has done this? Is there not enough room? Is it much hotter in that area?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
Ok, so I've read through this thread and a few others, and I haven't seen anyone angle the intake down toward the radiator fan. I know originally this was created as a short ram intake, but is there a different reason no one has done this? Is there not enough room? Is it much hotter in that area?
The original intake has a rubber piece that attaches at a hole in the driver side fender well, in front of the battery. That is the cold air intake point; in fact there are ducts in the lower grille that push air into that area specifically to feed cold air to the engine. By angling the air filter towards that hole in the inner fender you should pick up some of the cold air and get better performance. Worse fuel economy, but better power.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I did my SSRI from autozone today. It sounds great but the only thing is I had to modify the 90 degrees pipe and cut the rubber to make it a perfect fit. The filter was hitting the battery without modification.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
It really is awesome to see so many people still finding success in this intake.

I really didn't think it would catch on as well as it did.

I never conceived nor stated that this intake was better than anything else on the market. This was simply the solution I came up to my particular situation. I wanted the benefits of a free-flow intake but because I was unemployed, I could not afford the brand name products out there.

So I went to Autozone and I tried to piece together the least expensive version of a short-ram that I could. And the SSR Intake was born.

And here we are 2 years later, and I would guess there are dozens of people out there enjoying this intake and the extra money in their pocket.

I think I am going to start a poll to get an idea of how many people out there have actually purchased this intake system.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Here's mine!

Last edited by Black01; 07-05-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I had to edit because the old picture had one pipe, and I edited when I installed the 2nd pipe this morning which is the 90 degrees pipe. I would suggest putting in two pipes because I notice that when I had the single pipe there's a feeling that at 2500rpm , there's a sudden surge of power or the engine kind of choked but with the 2 pipes installed the acceleration is smooth.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I decided to join the band wagon on this install so here is a pic.

I had some fitment issues when using the two 90 degree elbows where the filter was hitting the battery. To remedy this I cut about a half inch of the first 90 bend where it connects to the throttle body. Then I did away with the second 90 degree bend and went with a 45 degree bend instead. Problem solved. Sounds pretty good and a good hold me over untill I get the T1R around Christmas.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Here's my stupid n00b question...

Will this install be exactly the same for an '09 Sport? Nothing changed under the hood between the GD and GE's right?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
I had to edit because the old picture had one pipe, and I edited when I installed the 2nd pipe this morning which is the 90 degrees pipe. I would suggest putting in two pipes because I notice that when I had the single pipe there's a feeling that at 2500rpm , there's a sudden surge of power or the engine kind of choked but with the 2 pipes installed the acceleration is smooth.
You must have been feeling he VTEC transitioning with the 2 tube set up.... There is a loss of manifold vacuum when it occurs that created a loss of intake velocity that you got back by adding the extra bend.... Flow velocity is what it's all about.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chris03HD
Here's my stupid n00b question...

Will this install be exactly the same for an '09 Sport? Nothing changed under the hood between the GD and GE's right?
Dig around the GE forums for underhood shots - I think their short rams end up going behind the battery. I'm pretty sure you could do the same thing on a GE model but the layout may change a bit. No big deal, it's just a collection of bits from the parts store; just pick the bits that work for your application.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by CHERK
I decided to join the band wagon on this install so here is a pic.

I had some fitment issues when using the two 90 degree elbows where the filter was hitting the battery. To remedy this I cut about a half inch of the first 90 bend where it connects to the throttle body. Then I did away with the second 90 degree bend and went with a 45 degree bend instead. Problem solved. Sounds pretty good and a good hold me over untill I get the T1R around Christmas.
Looks good Cherk!! I went with the 45 degree too

Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by wdb
Dig around the GE forums for underhood shots - I think their short rams end up going behind the battery. I'm pretty sure you could do the same thing on a GE model but the layout may change a bit. No big deal, it's just a collection of bits from the parts store; just pick the bits that work for your application.
Thank you sir.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Posting again since my last picture did not work

Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Here's mine I did last weekend

Name:  P1020049.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  65.5 KB

Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm really liking the flat black paint on the intake. I'm most likely going to take mine off and paint it as well. Looks sweet TurboManGT! You know me, I've always been a fan of red and black color combo!

Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Here's mine I did last weekend

Quick Reply: ***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)***