Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)***

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know if this will fit on a 2009 sport fit?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Need Help with Intake

Ok everyone I tried to put this intake on last night and it looks really good but when I started the car it would idle for like 10 sec. and die. I restarted the car and let it rev up for about a min. came off the gas and then it died. Can anyone help me to figure out what is going wrong, also the AIT sensor is different on the 09. Well I think that is the AIT sensor, its not round anymore its rectangular but I cut a hole in the tube for it anyway. One more thing I disconnected the AIT sensor and it idled fine, but when I took it for a drive I couldn't get it above 3000 rpm it would start stuttering. Please can anyone help!
Thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
This mod/guide was for 08/GD3 so it could be anything not working correctly in your GE8. I would go back to stock and start from the beginning with the guidance of someone who knows what they're doing in regards to the GE8's engine.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
It looks like this intake is NOT going to work on the GE, at least with these pieces.

The GE has a square sensor that looks like a MAF but nay be the IAT. It will have to be mounted in an exact manner or you will really throw the ECU out of wack, and you result with the problems that you are having now.

I noticed these pics on the GE:

Name:  yarispics016.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  126.6 KB

Old 02-02-2009, 05:05 PM
just did this on my 08 ssm

autozone has a whole section for this stuff so it was easy finding the parts.

i went with 90 & 60 degree pipes and it all fits nicely. the filter brushes the rad cap but it's nothing serious...

gives the fit some bite, it sounds great

Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Just wanted to chime in that the new gif in your sig is great Sid. SNAP

SSR intake w/ fujita filter still working as good as new after 10k+ miles.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
i just bought the 30 dollar one on ebay hahaha

i will have to take a pic but im not running a filter

Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
It looks like this intake is NOT going to work on the GE, at least with these pieces.

The GE has a square sensor that looks like a MAF but nay be the IAT. It will have to be mounted in an exact manner or you will really throw the ECU out of wack, and you result with the problems that you are having now.
i just looked online. specture makes piping with square MAFS type holes. part number 9405. it might work.

i wish they made a hole for the PCV breather tube.

Last edited by Tofuman; 02-08-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
Just wanted to chime in that the new gif in your sig is great Sid. SNAP

SSR intake w/ fujita filter still working as good as new after 10k+ miles.

hey i used to live in la mirada.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redrumm
hey i used to live in la mirada.
Strip mall city FTW

Old 02-08-2009, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
ha havent been back in years.

used to live right across the street from La Pluma Elementry

Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Not to talk down on the ssr diy intake, but just a few days ago I swapped mine out (with fujita cone filter) for an actual fujita SRI that I got at a great deal. I even put the same cone filter on the "new" intake, so the only thing that changed was the tubing.

After around 100 miles post-ecu reset, here's the difference I've felt between the ssr diy and the fujita: there's a definitely stronger pull once you pass around 4k rpm. Also, throughout the band, everything seems smoother, but don't feel any difference in power or responsiveness at lower rpm below 3.5-4k.

The Fujita sri has a 2.5" diameter tubing which is identical to the throttle body, while the ssr diy has a bigger diameter, 3". Could the larger diameter be slightly limiting the gains that can be had with a sri?

Just letting people know, since we're all looking to grab as much power as we can from this tiny engine.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 AM
I will have to see if I can get ahold of some spectre 2.5" diamter tubing and see if it makes a difference.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned
Wow impressive Sid!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
plus those spectre pipes dont have smooth bends inside the pipe. on the 90 degree bends, it really is a 90 degree bend inside the tube. even the 45's are the same. greatly reduces air flow. had one on my wrx. smoothed out the sharp angles and could tell the difference. was gonna do this to my fit, maybe i should take pics and show how it turns out.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
Not to talk down on the ssr diy intake, but just a few days ago I swapped mine out (with fujita cone filter) for an actual fujita SRI that I got at a great deal. I even put the same cone filter on the "new" intake, so the only thing that changed was the tubing.

After around 100 miles post-ecu reset, here's the difference I've felt between the ssr diy and the fujita: there's a definitely stronger pull once you pass around 4k rpm. Also, throughout the band, everything seems smoother, but don't feel any difference in power or responsiveness at lower rpm below 3.5-4k.

The Fujita sri has a 2.5" diameter tubing which is identical to the throttle body, while the ssr diy has a bigger diameter, 3". Could the larger diameter be slightly limiting the gains that can be had with a sri?

Just letting people know, since we're all looking to grab as much power as we can from this tiny engine.
Unless you have a tremendous amount boost pressure that will increase the velocity of the air through the tiny intake valve ports a 3' tube is going to kill you low and possibly mid range power.... Even with boost the small valves will be restricting your intake flow.. If the intake tubes smoothly taper it will increase intake velocity and the more gradual the taper the better effect it will have through out the power band.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
First off, neither myself nor anyone would argue that the SSR intake is the best there is.

I readily admit I did no R&D or dyno trial & error with this intake system. I was simply trying to get an intake that was better than stock, and less expensive than the other alternatives. I didn't have $250-450 to purchase a high-end intake.

So am I at all surprised that people are switching from an SSR intake to a Fujita or AEM or anything else, and getting a smoother response or more power anywhere in the RPM band? No, I am not surprised at all. I would hope that those $300+ intakes make more power than mine.

But I will say that the SSR is a good alternative to the stock intake system. Period.

And while on an N/A engine going to big on the intake side can hurt mid-rpm velocity, thus affecting torque, I seriously doubt that on this small of an engine, with so many other power limiting factors, that a 3" intake tube is going to kill all lower range torque. And yet magically a 2.5" tube makes a bunch more torque? I would really have to see a dyno sheet showing the SSR and a Fujita SRI back to back before I would believe that a 1/2" would make that much of a difference.

So don't worry about offending me by saying the SSR doesn't perform as good as some other $300+ intake. As I said, I would hope so.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Sid, I boo booed when I posted. this was suppose to go on a different thread on a new manifold that was posted that I had earlier read..... Let me off on this screw up, please.... I bought an AEM cold air intake as soon as they were available in 2006. It was damaged when an 18 wheeler chunked the tread off of a tire and it landed in front of my car doing $2000.00 worth of damage that included the lower end of my intake tube and filter. I removed the lower tube and went to a low dollar cloth filter from an auto parts store. It is my opinion that the SSR approach is more responsive and a lot less hassle than the AEM CAI .... I haven't measured the tube diameter on my set up, but it is huge.... Your advice on this topic is priceless, and I won't ever post again after taking my sleep medication..... I'm Sorry Sid.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
We cool, we cool.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:07 PM
i got excited when i started reading this thread...then i got very unexcited. honda switched out the IAT sensor for a combination MAF/IAT sensor for the '09 Fit. So far no one (that i've been able to find) is even making any kind of intake system for the '09 yet. same with the exhaust systems (the mufflers are very different on the '09). i'm going to look into the adapter pipe mentioned earlier. even with that additional cost, its still only around$75-$80 DIY.

Quick Reply: ***The Official SSR Intake DIY Thread (Sid Short Ram Intake)***