1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

What did you do to the GD Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by der Mond
Hey, can you provide a link to the tail lights? They look great. Looks like you got a great car. I love the 2008 as it is simpler and easier to work on than the newer models. Nice job.

This is the seller I purchased them off of.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/oem_xenon_j...53.m2749.l2754

Old 03-03-2019, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Valve adjustment

with 170k miles on my Fit I’d been working around the cold start stutters for way too long. Using directions from this site and Alldata I got it done with my sons help -he did the valves. HOLY COW it’s like a brand new different car! I cannot believe the difference.

Id put it off becausing the intake is aPITA, as I’d dropping tools and having the feeler gauges go flying all over the place because the screw holdingvthem together fell out. And then losing one of the upper intake mounting bolts 🙄. Not sure it hit the floor.
but it’s did and the car is running great.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Runnings!

Good job. I tell you, in addition I can't say enough about Denso Iridium TT plugs. But of course they are best replaced with the intake manifold off...😆

Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Just joined. Thanks for being here. I've decided to keep my 06 with 150+k on it instead of going in debt. I'm wanting to start modifying it for a little more ground clearance. In addition to some modifications I've been reading about on the various threads. What I really want most is your input on doing this project smartly. Thanks in advance for your hard won experiences.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Here’s the procedure I followed.i also has one I got thru Alldata online but it ONLY had the valve adjustments. This Fitfreak thread is bey far the best procedure to follow. Be sure to read the follow up comments in there. Get the special valve adjusting tool and the “L” shaped feeler gauges, they aren’t expensive on Amazon and make doing the valves so much easer. Like with many people my intake valves were fine, the exhaust were way out of spec.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:04 PM
Bought some seat covers for my 2002 Fit which is in great condition internally, and then discovered the rear right door doesn't open from the inside .. Outside is fine 🤷*♂️

Old 03-11-2019, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Had mechanical key cut by ACE hardware at carried in e-Bay blank (cutting price varies among the stores, but I got a good deal) the key however cannot start an engine , even with programmed key next to it. My blank has a cavity for chip to be inserted; however a chip I got from my damaged key looks like this https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Re...ochip-Hand.jpg
I placed chip into the key cavity (antenna facing key slot) an the car started right away. Will work on securing chip to the key (perhaps with some epoxy)

Old 04-07-2019, 03:06 PM
...I BOUGHT MINE, is what I did
behold, a 2008 Honda fit!! [said no one ever outloud in public]

Hat tip to @petelite , @Baldwin Nguyen , and @doctor J for their expeditious feedback on my naiive pre-purchase jitters throughtout last week. In the end the car checked out, and, safe for some door damage and curb scrape on the front bumper, the car is good. The latter two things will be replaced altogether for $800 at a body shop next week. The price is a bargain because it was a hookup from the mechanic who sold the car. After that - probably nicer wheels at some point, and perhaps a modest spoiler in the back. Maybe a slightly bigger ball shifter, but that's a small formality.

The car has been an absolute spaz to drive so far - I come from a history of heavier, longer, admittedly more luxurious vehicles, so it's definitely a change, and I love it. I'm in a bit of a disbelief over how a car this simple could roll out of a factory in 2008! Mobbing around LA in this little guy almost feels like reliving high school a little bit :]

Happy to join you all!
---------------------------
0l0id

Old 04-07-2019, 03:40 PM
Hey,@score04w , what type of wheels are on those your fit? they look fantastic...

Old 04-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Did a small emblem switch. Not the right generation haha but I like the plain silver look.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by 0L0ID
...I BOUGHT MINE, is what I did
behold, a 2008 Honda fit!! [said no one ever outloud in public]

Hat tip to @petelite , @Baldwin Nguyen , and @doctor J for their expeditious feedback on my naiive pre-purchase jitters throughtout last week. In the end the car checked out, and, safe for some door damage and curb scrape on the front bumper, the car is good. The latter two things will be replaced altogether for $800 at a body shop next week. The price is a bargain because it was a hookup from the mechanic who sold the car. After that - probably nicer wheels at some point, and perhaps a modest spoiler in the back. Maybe a slightly bigger ball shifter, but that's a small formality.

The car has been an absolute spaz to drive so far - I come from a history of heavier, longer, admittedly more luxurious vehicles, so it's definitely a change, and I love it. I'm in a bit of a disbelief over how a car this simple could roll out of a factory in 2008! Mobbing around LA in this little guy almost feels like reliving high school a little bit :]

Happy to join you all!
---------------------------
0l0id
Glad to hear you got it! Any plans to drop it a little? You should come to the meet up for SoCal in May! It's gonna be my first time and it'll be nice to meet another fellow Fit haha

Last edited by Baldwin Nguyen; 04-09-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Went to the junkyard to meet T-boned 07 Base fit and test my special amputated screwdriver to remove ignition switch mounting screw

It was a bit hard to remove not mentioning taking picture!
The car's interior had minimal wear but no rebuild starter!

Old 04-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Baldwin,
No plans to lower yet, but I'm thinking of changing the wheels further down the road. Vaguely leaning towards TireRack's sparco ff-1's in white or black. Maybe at that point I might look into progressive springs, i heard TEIN is good for it. All in due time of course, I plan on keeping this thing for a WHILE, so I'm in no rush:]

Meet up in may? that would be awesome. Not sure if I'll make it but might as well try. Where is it?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 PM
I cleaned 10 years of road grime off and scraped all the blistered paint and rusty spots on the the chassis/underside of the car from the rockers back, mostly seams...found a few small rust holes... gotta give it another rinse and wipe-down - and I’ve got some POR15 in the mail to seal things back up and hopefully keep corrosion at bay.

New England is frickin’ hard on cars y’all. and years of leaking from the hatch seems to have done some damage from the inside-out.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
140,000km and 4th cyl ignition coil finally giving out
changed that and spark plug.... then few days later just changed coil and spark plug for all 4
parts not too expensive on rockauto

Old 05-19-2019, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by PiuYi
140,000km and 4th cyl ignition coil finally giving out
changed that and spark plug.... then few days later just changed coil and spark plug for all 4
parts not too expensive on rockauto
On my car they barely made to 62,000 miles

Old 05-19-2019, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
At almost 193k miles. Only coil changed is the one that gets sooted by the dreaded loose spark plug. I keep tightening that plug every so often in hopes of avoiding ejection. Other 3 coils are original and doing fine.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Twitch3

Nothing done today but on Monday I changed the plugs it was about time lol weirdly it ran almost normal with this and I have no idea when it happened, the other 3 still had their grounds but weren't far behind this guy. Threw in some cheapie Autolite copper plugs curious to see how they do for mpg seeing as they conduct better
This looks like iridium plug. Is your model GD1 IDSI if yes which spark plug model number is this ?

Old 05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Twitch3

Nothing done today but on Monday I changed the plugs it was about time lol weirdly it ran almost normal with this and I have no idea when it happened, the other 3 still had their grounds but weren't far behind this guy. Threw in some cheapie Autolite copper plugs curious to see how they do for mpg seeing as they conduct better
Got your money out of those plugs!

Old 05-20-2019, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
At almost 193k miles. Only coil changed is the one that gets sooted by the dreaded loose spark plug. I keep tightening that plug every so often in hopes of avoiding ejection. Other 3 coils are original and doing fine.
What cylinder is that?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the GD Fit today?