2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installed: Variable Intermittent Wipers 2009 USDM Fit Sport MT Non-Navi

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't use pins. Just folded the ends of the exposed wire to make them thicker, inserted them fully (haha), then put a dab of hot glue on the outside where the wire meets the plastic to prevent them from backing out. Several months ago now and no problems. And if the wire did lose connection, you'd just lose the variable intermittent option - your wipers would still work.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Switch Pricing

For anyone interested in doing this mod..here is some info on pricing high to lowest from the websites: Honda P/N 35256-SWA-A11
Ebay Listing $34.38 (w/FREE Shipping)
Honda Parts Now $24.93
Honda Parts Direct $25.79
BK Honda Parts $24.07
Honda Parts Unlimited $24.14
OEM Acura Parts $23.53

Of course, shipping to YOUR part of the world will determine the final out of pocket cost!
Hope this helps out someone to get started..since I'm still under warranty, I'll wait a awhile!!

'12 VBP Sport 5MT w/minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Wow, I guess you really wanted the wipers.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Okay, I've just read (okay, scanned) back through like 10 pages and I'm still utterly confused. I have a 2010 base AT. Can I do this mod or not? Do I need to be a computer technician or an electrician (neither of which I am) to do it?

Does College Hills Honda sell a package that's plug-n-play? I don't find any mention on their web site.

I'd be interested in doing this, but I'm confused about where to start with an AT.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ursenay
Okay, I've just read (okay, scanned) back through like 10 pages and I'm still utterly confused. I have a 2010 base AT. Can I do this mod or not? Do I need to be a computer technician or an electrician (neither of which I am) to do it?

Does College Hills Honda sell a package that's plug-n-play? I don't find any mention on their web site.

I'd be interested in doing this, but I'm confused about where to start with an AT.
Based on my reading of the past 15 pages, there is no plug n play solution from College Hills or anybody else because the AT does not have the ability to support the variable speed stalk--only the MT can do it.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ursenay

No this is not a pnp mod. It's a pretty simple tho. The only hard part is finding the right connection on the back of the fuse panel because you can't really see back there plus it's a tight fit for your hand. If reading this whole thread doesn't explain it to you, then don't bother. If you really really want it ask a shop or worse, the dealer, to do it for you.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i wouldn't mind this feature on my GE. but yah, im not sure what you guys did either. hahaha.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
so this is one wire added to pin8 on the replacment wiperstalk?

The pin8 goes to pin7 in the "Q" harness on the fuse box? sounds simple enough if that's the case...

Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
so this is one wire added to pin8 on the replacment wiperstalk?

The pin8 goes to pin7 in the "Q" harness on the fuse box? sounds simple enough if that's the case...
Yup, it's just one additional wire, and you are correct about where it goes. I know for sure you can handle it Ken. It's a super easy mod. This post shows the schematic...https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post723272.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MEATBABY
Yup, it's just one additional wire, and you are correct about where it goes. I know for sure you can handle it Ken. It's a super easy mod. This post shows the schematic...https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post723272.
cool, thanks! yah, i guess the biggest challenge now is if i can get this thing in before it's too cold to work on my car. hahaha.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
ordered up the stalk. im going to just shove pigtail in the pins too.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
did this mod today on my '12 MT sport. thanks again to mscott and the others. i luv this mod.

this might help future installers so here's some tips i want to add:

Diagram for the Q-connector. This connector is next to a yellow connector (P-connector) which is closest to you. my Q-connector was hard to see with my mirror tool as the K-connector just above it had a lot of wires going over the Q-connector. i had to push all the K-connector and P-connector wires out of the way to pull out the Q-connector. it took me a good 10-15min to get this out.

after unplugging the Q-connector i used a generic pig tail wire, like some of the other did, and just pushed it into the harness + hot glue. i just found a wire about the thickness of the other wires coming out of the Q-connector.

if you use this approach, you dont have to take anything apart on the harness so it might be easier for some of you. you can do everything with one hand. just have a small glue gun.

same deal on the stalk 8pin connector. i used a bigger wire on this side and just pushed it in without taking anything apart. then hot glue.

pin8 with my pigtail wire

at the end, i just crimped the wires together. walla. i would say difficulty isn't too bad, but the pita factor is huge. it is a biotch to do the Q-connector side as others have already mentioned many times.

thanks again everyone!

Old 12-21-2013, 12:16 AM
I didnt read all the pages wont lie but I read a few and dodnt see anything about someone figuring out a solution in an AT I jabe a 08 gd tho not ge

Old 01-08-2014, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by k-man
Not sure if this matters but has anyone with a non-sport AT Fit checked to see if they have the required pin? I can check mine but I'm not 100% sure I understand what I'm looking for...

For what I see only sport AT owners have checked and CCH checked AT sport vs MT sport fuse box differences.... just putting it out there?

Also, I did this mod on my 04 Civic LX Coupe a could years back and I add had to do was swap the EX stalk in, that was it... no extra wires or anything.... they cant all be that easy I guess...
BIG NEWS!!! Tonight, I followed-up on my hunch from almost 3 years ago (see above LOL), I unplugged the Q connector on the back-side of my fuse panel and ALL 16 PINS ARE IN PLACE!!! WOOHOO!

To put my excitement (sad I know) into perspective, I have a 2009 Fit Sport AUTOMATIC!!! My logic from 3 years ago was that perhaps the difference lay in the fact that sport autos did not have the pin due to the paddle shifters, perhaps non-paddle shifter automatics had the same fuse panel as the manual transmission fits, and it appears that way from what I see. BTW to make it clear to everyone, my Fit Sport Auto is a Canadian model, we did not get the privilege of paddle shifters but perhaps we can have intermittent wipers.

Nothing is quite in the bag yet, so I'm not quite ready to confirm it works. I am going to order the wiper stalk and give it a go, I will keep you guys updated.

In order to complete this, I just need help with pins..... anyone have any extras? I have extra pins from my old cruise control harness and the audio harness from the steering control DIY. Also I'm ordering pigtails for the JDM winker mod. Anyone know if any of these are good pins for this project?

For the mod, I need two different sized pins correct? The pin for the wiper stalk is different than the Q? someone please help me out so I can hopefully help out the non paddle shift autos out there!!

Stay tuned........

Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
In order to complete this, I just need help with pins..... anyone have any extras? I have extra pins from my old cruise control harness and the audio harness from the steering control DIY. Also I'm ordering pigtails for the JDM winker mod. Anyone know if any of these are good pins for this project?

For the mod, I need two different sized pins correct? The pin for the wiper stalk is different than the Q? someone please help me out so I can hopefully help out the non paddle shift autos out there!!

Stay tuned........
To be honest this mod is 1000 times easier without those damned pins... they truly are a pain in the neck. Supposedly some have had success with the pins from the winker mod working on the stalk end of the mod. I have those pins, and no matter what I tried they wouldn't fit. I winded up cutting the pin and wedging/clipping the wire in. It's more than secure.

The Q connector pin is a smaller pin than the stalk... I got mine from Niko so I knew it would fit there... I had to double & triple check orientation because from hearing others place it wrong, getting it out would be even harder.

I'd actually recommend to anyone trying this to do it like kenchan did w/o the pins, it's much easier that way... especially in your case because even though there's a pin on your Q connector from what I recall it goes no where or is not connected in the way the MT's are (iirc, people went thru wiring diagrams or something like that)...

I do hope you can get it work though.. good luck & keep us updated.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
To be honest this mod is 1000 times easier without those damned pins... they truly are a pain in the neck. Supposedly some have had success with the pins from the winker mod working on the stalk end of the mod. I have those pins, and no matter what I tried they wouldn't fit. I winded up cutting the pin and wedging/clipping the wire in. It's more than secure.

The Q connector pin is a smaller pin than the stalk... I got mine from Niko so I knew it would fit there... I had to double & triple check orientation because from hearing others place it wrong, getting it out would be even harder.

I'd actually recommend to anyone trying this to do it like kenchan did w/o the pins, it's much easier that way... especially in your case because even though there's a pin on your Q connector from what I recall it goes no where or is not connected in the way the MT's are (iirc, people went thru wiring diagrams or something like that)...

I do hope you can get it work though.. good luck & keep us updated.
Thanks, worst case I figured I would try it out in this way (i.e. without pins). I will likely test it out without pins initially as I'm not 100% certain it will work, but I hope it does. I ordered the wiper stalk last night, will let you guys know how it goes, but I am open to further info on pins for a more permanent installation (assuming it works lol).

Old 01-08-2014, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Thanks, worst case I figured I would try it out in this way (i.e. without pins). I will likely test it out without pins initially as I'm not 100% certain it will work, but I hope it does. I ordered the wiper stalk last night, will let you guys know how it goes, but I am open to further info on pins for a more permanent installation (assuming it works lol).

Just remember that for the test, the intermittent function wont work at speeds under ~15mph...

Also in my search for the wiper stalk pin, I was able to find what I think was an exact match in an old car radio wiring harness I had... too bad I couldn't find where I put it so I don't lose it when I was doing the install... ahahaha... iirc, a few people who did the mod with the pins (that weren't scavenged from junkyards) were able to get them off Metra harnesses.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Just remember that for the test, the intermittent function wont work at speeds under ~15mph...

Also in my search for the wiper stalk pin, I was able to find what I think was an exact match in an old car radio wiring harness I had... too bad I couldn't find where I put it so I don't lose it when I was doing the install... ahahaha... iirc, a few people who did the mod with the pins (that weren't scavenged from junkyards) were able to get them off Metra harnesses.
Actually the intermittent feature will function with the car completely stopped. At least mine does, that's how I checked it. The intervals just get shorter at different speeds, because you're moving and therefore the windscreen will be getting covered in rain a lot faster.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Oh and +1 for not using the pins. Just folding the bare end of the wire over so it fits snuggly works great. Then a dab of hot glue where the wire meets the plastic of the connector just as an added precaution against the wire backing out. I've had mine on for over a year I think and the wipers still work without a flaw.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MEATBABY
Actually the intermittent feature will function with the car completely stopped. At least mine does, that's how I checked it. The intervals just get shorter at different speeds, because you're moving and therefore the windscreen will be getting covered in rain a lot faster.
Yeah I should've added the "variable" part... when stopped it becomes intermittent, you just can't control the interval time.

Quick Reply: Installed: Variable Intermittent Wipers 2009 USDM Fit Sport MT Non-Navi