2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installed: Variable Intermittent Wipers 2009 USDM Fit Sport MT Non-Navi

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
Yah, I know its wishful thinking & that very few GD3 owners have done this mod, but pricewise I don't think it's that expensive. I've seen GD3 autofold mirrors between $400-$600, and used ones for about $250 for the pair. Comparing that to having to my old 1986 Audi's power & heated (no autofold, or LED winker) side mirror which they wanted about $400 back in 1995 for just one side I'd say about $600 for the pair of autofolds, winker, power mirror, and for a little more the heated/defrost mirror is a pretty good price.
But the wiring up should be quite the nightmare...
(maybe that's whats been deterring people?)
Still.... I will eventually tackle that mod

Props again to College Hills Honda for their support of the Fit community, I've bought plenty of stuff from them in the past, and am glad to be supporting them back. Looking forward to seeing the podcast.

Paul owns a GD3 last I knew... or was it his sidekick... I know one owned a GD3, and the other a FG2 civic.

They're normally great for that sort of stuff.

I know what stops most people from doing the autofold is cost and amount of wiring/hacking needed.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Update from Paul @ College Hills Honda:
(1) Q connector male shaft missing: After some parts catalog browsing they have found that the fuse box is different between Sport automatics and manuals. After the tech looked at 2 different vehicles, the automatic did NOT have the pin but the 5spd DID. They are not sure if this is consistent with what others have found in the forums. They noticed that the starter of the thread on FitFreak also owns a manual transmission model.

(2) Pin connectors: Next hang up is the pin connectors. Even with the vast amount of pins they have at their disposal, they were still not able to locate the correct one(s). They're going to email engineering at Honda on Monday (today) to see if they can help or not. If they can identify the exact pin it will make things much easier.

(3) Last concern: If a vast majority of the vehicles missing the pin in the Q connector are automatics, it is going to limit the amount of people that will be able to benefit from this mod.
Nothing is ever as straight-forward as it looks, huh? More to come...

Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the update... I did the mod with 5sp manual. Any auto's done the mod? Confirm here please.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PNW101
Update from Paul @ College Hills Honda:
(1) Q connector male shaft missing: After some parts catalog browsing they have found that the fuse box is different between Sport automatics and manuals. After the tech looked at 2 different vehicles, the automatic did NOT have the pin but the 5spd DID. They are not sure if this is consistent with what others have found in the forums. They noticed that the starter of the thread on FitFreak also owns a manual transmission model.

(2) Pin connectors: Next hang up is the pin connectors. Even with the vast amount of pins they have at their disposal, they were still not able to locate the correct one(s). They're going to email engineering at Honda on Monday (today) to see if they can help or not. If they can identify the exact pin it will make things much easier.

(3) Last concern: If a vast majority of the vehicles missing the pin in the Q connector are automatics, it is going to limit the amount of people that will be able to benefit from this mod.
Nothing is ever as straight-forward as it looks, huh? More to come...
Well that might explain why I wasn't able to complete the mod. As mentioned in my earlier post, I installed the mod but still wasn't able to get it to work. After further investigation found that pin (7) for Q plug at the fuse box was missing. Would like to hear from other Sport Auto owners who have attempted this mod or who would be willing to pull the Q plug out to confirm this. I know there was one other individual who was having the same problem as me, not sure if he had an auto or not. Doesn't make sense why there would be a difference between the autos and manuals. Oh well if there is any manual owners out there looking to buy a wiper stalk for this mod cheap drop me a PM.

Scott

Old 10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Oh Gosh, if this is true, this is a major discovery, and major setback for auto owners.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I will try and see if disassembly of the fuse box is possible. Curious to see if we (auto owners) are missing more than just the pin in there.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Glad I read through the entire post as I was ready to order this, but have an AT. Hopefully the AT will only need to have the pin added and everything else will work.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by RUFit
Glad I read through the entire post as I was ready to order this, but have an AT. Hopefully the AT will only need to have the pin added and everything else will work.
I think the "pin" won't do any good unless there is a wire attached to it going somewhere, probably to the computer interface.

jerij

Old 11-03-2009, 02:55 PM
no pin 7

Just to add to the database,,,,,,,,

Checked my 12/08 mfg Fit Sport Auto and no pin 7. Guess there is another CR-V wiper stalk for sale here,,,, Cheap,,,,

At least I can button up my steering column trim now.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Variable Intermittent Wipers

Hi all,
An update from College Hills Honda -- CHH went to Honda Engineering to find out exactly which pin connector would work and they were unable to help. That information gap, combined with the fact that only the manual Fit has the male pin in the Q connector (and thus, only a small population would be able to perform the mod) has made them decide that, while they might eventually offer something, the project is "on the back burner" for now.
Thanks for the attempt, College Hills!!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Just returned to this thread after some time away. While I'm sad that I may never get the mod working, I'm glad that the mystery of why it wouldn't work for my AT is solved.

Never one to give up, though:

Doesn't anyone have the wiring diagrams in sufficient detail to check (for the MT) what the final destination is for Q pin 7 (or any other useful intermediate connection point in between)? Such a point wherever it is may exist for connection in the AT even if the Q pin isn't there.
If the FIT wiring diagrams do not show this signal because it is not an installed feature, maybe the CR-V diagrams will yield a clue.
Or maybe someone wants to hazard some guesses as to the destination (ECU?) and someone with a MT might agree to buzz it out with a meter.

Paul

Old 11-28-2009, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
I am definitely not a wiring expert by any means, but I had an idea. If anyone can access a wire diagram for the windshield wiper stalk, and there's a wire dedicated to the rear wiper washer jet, could we disconnect that wire and put it where we need it for the intermittent function? (Only applies to MT) I never use that washer so I wouldn't miss it.

Just a thought I've had lately... I really want intermittent wipers!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Anyone selling?

Anyone selling their control stalk and the wire too?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by pbuck
Just returned to this thread after some time away. While I'm sad that I may never get the mod working, I'm glad that the mystery of why it wouldn't work for my AT is solved.

Never one to give up, though:

Doesn't anyone have the wiring diagrams in sufficient detail to check (for the MT) what the final destination is for Q pin 7 (or any other useful intermediate connection point in between)? Such a point wherever it is may exist for connection in the AT even if the Q pin isn't there.
If the FIT wiring diagrams do not show this signal because it is not an installed feature, maybe the CR-V diagrams will yield a clue.
Or maybe someone wants to hazard some guesses as to the destination (ECU?) and someone with a MT might agree to buzz it out with a meter.

Paul
Good point, Paul, and exactly my question too. That have/don't have Q pin most likely ends up at the the ECU or some other vehicle monitoring checkpoint. A wiring diagram would be nice to see exactly where it goes to and if connecting directly to that junction would work/be posssible.

jerij

Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone taken a look at a 2010 AT yet to see if it has a pin 7? I wonder if there might be a difference between model years. When mine comes in I might take a look. I might have an okay time getting to the Q connector anyway - I'm small and so are my hands hehe.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by mscott
All,

I'd to share my first completed mod to the Fit and the elimination of a small annoyance.

I now have fully functional Variable Intermittent Wipers using a readily available Honda Wiper Stalk.

(Please keep in mind that these are mods I performed on my own vehicle. I am not responsible for any damages as a result of reading/following this information. Do so at your own risk.)
(I am not a Honda Tech nor do I work for the automotive industry in any capacity... I'm just a Honda Fit lover that enjoys tinkering)

I will try and post as much info that I can, but here are the highlights:

My Car: 2009 USDM Honda Fit Sport MT, Non-Navi

Honda Wiper: 35256-SWA-A11 (Stock in 07-09 CR-V and 2010 Insight)

2010 Insight and 2009 Fit have nearly identical Under Dash Fuse Panels
- MICU variable int wipers function exists on fit, except wire is missing
-- No need to replace Stock Fit UDFP/MICU
- UDFP Connector Q (16P) Pin 7 needs to be wired to wiper stalk connector Pin 8

Like several late model Honda vehicles with Var Int Wipers, the wipers delay about 7secs if under (approx) 10 miles per hour. Once the car exceeds 10mph, it resumes the var int setting you've selected on the wiper stalk

Wiper Stalk 35256-SWA-A11 bolts into the steering column like stock. Additionally, it looks identical except for the var int adjuster.
(I bought it online for about $36.)

Why didn't Honda do this Stock??? Only one wire and an existing Wiper Stalk was needed!

Please Enjoy!
Michael

2010 Insite Wiper Stalk installed in 2009 Fit Sport

Stock 2009 Fit Wiper Stalk (On Top)... Insite/CR-V Stalk on Bottom

Close-up of CR-V/Insite Wiper Stalk

Var Int Stalk in 2009 Fit without Cover

Back of Wiper Stalk / Connector Jack

Wiper Stalk Pin Needed (I don't have a Honda Number, had an old wire already)

Wiper Stalk Connector

Under Dash Fuse Panel Connector q (16P)
(Its on the back of the UDFP... not front accessable)

Lastly, I had to add an image of my Fit. There are many like her... but this one is mine.

The mods have only begun... I've only had the Fit for 3 weeks

Would everything work except for variable wipers if I connected the new Insight one ? I will have someone else finish the wiring but wanted to go ahead and install

Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Subscribing to post for AT solution

Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by fitwrt
Subscribing to post for AT solution
Good luck. So am I. If only someone knew where the Q-connector wire ends up. I'm still sure it's the computer, but don't know which connector on the computer is for the IV wiper.

jerij

Old 01-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Can someone tell me, do I have to remove the steering wheel to install the new stalk ?

Old 01-25-2010, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polokid69
Can someone tell me, do I have to remove the steering wheel to install the new stalk ?
no you don't. You need to have a MANUAL 09 Fit for this mod. Not Automatic. Search through the posts and instructions are spread throughout...

Quick Reply: Installed: Variable Intermittent Wipers 2009 USDM Fit Sport MT Non-Navi