2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Installed: Variable Intermittent Wipers 2009 USDM Fit Sport MT Non-Navi

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PNW101
Just an update on this topic: Installing Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers. I just watched College Hills Honda video podcast #167 (Viewer Questions) and in it, Paul says that he and his tech are going to (1) learn the install, (2) do a future podcast on it and (3) assemble a kit (which would of course include those ever elusive wires with the correct pins) that you can purchase from College Hills to install your very own Variable Intermittent Wipers. Paul stated that his tech is on vacation at the present time but its definitely a firm future project. Kudos to College Hills; to all those who want to do this mod, let them know we appreciate their efforts!!
That's fantastic news!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Just an update on this topic: Installing Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers. I just watched College Hills Honda video podcast #167 (Viewer Questions) and in it, Paul says that he and his tech are going to (1) learn the install, (2) do a future podcast on it and (3) assemble a kit (which would of course include those ever elusive wires with the correct pins) that you can purchase from College Hills to install your very own Variable Intermittent Wipers. Paul stated that his tech is on vacation at the present time but its definitely a firm future project. Kudos to College Hills; to all those who want to do this mod, let them know we appreciate their efforts!!
This is exactly what I was hoping for! Props to College Hills Honda!

Old 09-19-2009, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

wow, that's pretty good for College Hills.

Hey next time you speak to them see if they will figure out the Auto-Fold mirror mod, and start importing the parts, I'm sure a lot of people will want to do that.

by the time I get to this mod, they'll have their podcast up.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
If College hills can do that AND the wheel controls for the audio, they'll see more business from me!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by bigmitch
Well I have large hands, I'm 6'4" and I'm 46 but I'm not biting on the forget about it part !!!! Working on aircraft for a living for most of my adult life I've been in tight spots where you have to work just by feel as you can't see what your working on and have managed my way through it. So I think I might be able to manage this. Worse case if it's to tight to fit my body under the dash I'll remove the drivers seat. Just got the wires from Niko (Thanks Nick) now just waiting on wiper stalk which should be in next week.
Yes, I'm 52, sore as hell, and DID take my driver's seat out.

jerij

Old 09-19-2009, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
wow, that's pretty good for College Hills.

Hey next time you speak to them see if they will figure out the Auto-Fold mirror mod, and start importing the parts, I'm sure a lot of people will want to do that.

by the time I get to this mod, they'll have their podcast up.
I dunno, that mod never seemed to popular with the GD3 here, I think because they're really damn expensive for what you're getting.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I dunno, that mod never seemed to popular with the GD3 here, I think because they're really damn expensive for what you're getting.
Yah, I know its wishful thinking & that very few GD3 owners have done this mod, but pricewise I don't think it's that expensive. I've seen GD3 autofold mirrors between $400-$600, and used ones for about $250 for the pair. Comparing that to having to my old 1986 Audi's power & heated (no autofold, or LED winker) side mirror which they wanted about $400 back in 1995 for just one side I'd say about $600 for the pair of autofolds, winker, power mirror, and for a little more the heated/defrost mirror is a pretty good price.
But the wiring up should be quite the nightmare...
(maybe that's whats been deterring people?)
Still.... I will eventually tackle that mod

Props again to College Hills Honda for their support of the Fit community, I've bought plenty of stuff from them in the past, and am glad to be supporting them back. Looking forward to seeing the podcast.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jerij
Yes, I'm 52, sore as hell, and DID take my driver's seat out.

jerij
I'm 53 and going to order the wiper switch soon. Maybe I'll get it in before I turn 54!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be ordering the Wiper upgrade and the horn upgrade once the Wiper is available.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
What SUV is that? Infiniti?

Originally Posted by guitar_trance
The mirrors on my SUV not only fold in when parking (you can set them to do that automatically when leaving), but when placing the vehicle in reverse you can have one or both side views automatically point downward to see the space/road and/or curb behind you.

One or both mirrors auto-pointing downward would be a great thing on the Fit. The auto-fold would be ok... but the auto-aiming thing is EXTREMELY convenient. It's difficult doing without it now when I'm not driving the SUV.

Spoiled, maybe?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by guitar_trance
The mirrors on my SUV not only fold in when parking (you can set them to do that automatically when leaving), but when placing the vehicle in reverse you can have one or both side views automatically point downward to see the space/road and/or curb behind you.

One or both mirrors auto-pointing downward would be a great thing on the Fit. The auto-fold would be ok... but the auto-aiming thing is EXTREMELY convenient. It's difficult doing without it now when I'm not driving the SUV.

Spoiled, maybe?
I drove a car that had those, can't remember what, might have been a rental, and reverse tilt mirrors are incredibly helpful. One of those things that once you've used it, it's hard to believe it's not at least an option on all cars that have powered mirrors.

Be very nice to have that on the Fit.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Variable Intermittent Wipers

Update: College Hills Honda has been waiting for the arrival of the wiper stalk; the the assemblies are finally coming off of backorder. Their tech is currently in the process of procuring a crimping tool so they can manufacture their own wiring for this mod. Mr.Pacek (Paul) is on vacation next week but their tech is on the case. The Tech feels the connectors are NOT going to be a problem as they have a vast amount of different versions on hand so they can find a working solution. Bottom line: Be patient; its coming after Paul gets back from vacation! Thanks AGAIN, College Hills!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
College Hills *ROCKS*.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Update: College Hills Honda has been waiting for the arrival of the wiper stalk; the the assemblies are finally coming off of backorder. Their tech is currently in the process of procuring a crimping tool so they can manufacture their own wiring for this mod. Mr.Pacek (Paul) is on vacation next week but their tech is on the case. The Tech feels the connectors are NOT going to be a problem as they have a vast amount of different versions on hand so they can find a working solution. Bottom line: Be patient; its coming after Paul gets back from vacation! Thanks AGAIN, College Hills!
Good deal.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krizz
I drove a car that had those, can't remember what, might have been a rental, and reverse tilt mirrors are incredibly helpful. One of those things that once you've used it, it's hard to believe it's not at least an option on all cars that have powered mirrors.

Be very nice to have that on the Fit.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-function.html

Old 10-10-2009, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbuck
I don't think anything is missing. If I unplug the connectors at both ends and measure between the pins I have good continuity between the wiper stalk end and the Q end. When I do this I am connecting the meter via small pieces of thin solid wire which I poke into the connectors to substitute for the mating male pins of the fuse box and the wiper stalk. At both ends I can feel the pin's spring contact grab the wire when I do this so I feel fairly sure that when the connector is plugged in normally it should be making contact.
If I assume that the new wiper stalk and whatever is in (or after) the fuse box is good, then I am at a loss to explain why it doesn't work.
Maybe someone has some more info on the fuse box end which would allow me to debug further. Maybe the variable delay signal goes through a fuse and that has blown...I don't know?

Paul
Paul any luck on getting your variable portion of the wiper to work. Reason I ask is that I did this mod to the wifes car a couple of weeks ago. Never got the chance to check it for proper operation (besides the wipers working) as had to go out of town for a couple of weeks. Anyway wife said that when she went to use it the other day when it was raining that the variable portion did not work. Had a constant 6 second delay no matter where the variable portion was set to. Verified the problem today but haven't had the chance to check into it. I guess tomorrow I'll be wrining out the wire to make sure I have good continuity between both ends and go from there. I'm almost a 100% sure I have the wire in the correct spot on the Q plug but will verify tomorrow.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigmitch
Paul any luck on getting your variable portion of the wiper to work. Reason I ask is that I did this mod to the wifes car a couple of weeks ago. Never got the chance to check it for proper operation (besides the wipers working) as had to go out of town for a couple of weeks. Anyway wife said that when she went to use it the other day when it was raining that the variable portion did not work. Had a constant 6 second delay no matter where the variable portion was set to. Verified the problem today but haven't had the chance to check into it. I guess tomorrow I'll be wrining out the wire to make sure I have good continuity between both ends and go from there. I'm almost a 100% sure I have the wire in the correct spot on the Q plug but will verify tomorrow.
Well found out why the variable portion is not working. Took everything apart and check the wire between both plug ends and have good continuity. Checked pins on both plugs and both are in and seated properly. Well before putting it all back together decided to look at the male pins for the Q plug on the fuse panel itself. Found out that pin 7 which is for the variable portion is missing (it's not there). Wondered if it broke off or was recessed but was able to stick a small piece of wire in the hole and it goes all the way through which leads me to believe that it was never installed. Every other spot has a pin except for pin 7. I know Pbuck was having the same problem, wonder if his pin is there or is missing. Makes me wonder why some would have it and I don't, maybe others don't. If you plan on doing this mod, I would first unplug the Q plug and verify that you have pin 7 there before going out and getting all the required parts. Well if anyone is looking for the variable wiper stalk PM me as I have one up for sale. I'll let it go cheaper then you can get it at the dealers and shipped free.

Scott

Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Has anyone happened to put a volt meter on pin 7 to see what kind of electric signal is coming from it?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by winkun
Has anyone happened to put a volt meter on pin 7 to see what kind of electric signal is coming from it?
I would think that nothing is coming out of pin 7. I would think that it would be more of a varied resistance signal going into based on where the variable portion of the wiper stalk is set to. Maybe tomorrow I'll play with the stalk as I have it out of the car as it's not doing me any good as with me missing pin 7 I'm out of the variable wiper stalk mod.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Ahhh, yes. I had not thought of it as an input to the car's systems. Does make sense.

Wish I spoke Japanese. I spend a few days every month in Japan. I'd go to the Honda dealer and figger this out. I've tried before, and just speaking English I get blank stares.... They do have free bottled water and coffee however.

Quick Reply: Installed: Variable Intermittent Wipers 2009 USDM Fit Sport MT Non-Navi