1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

The Official "Transferable parts from GE8 to GD3" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BONES76
Got my amb light kit....everything plugs in and it works the only issue I had was fitting the light switch into the spare slot next to the mirror switch. The button is shaped differently then the slot. Trimmed one set of corners off hopefully it'll fit...if not more trimming. Before routing the wires I plugged it all in...turned on the lights...pushed the button and bam! purdy blew lights. more to come later
Interesting. I wonder if I could some how mock this up using my extra base model Fog Light Switch...? Also, do these turn on when the doors open, or it's souly based upon the use of the switch?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM
It seems soley on the switch...and having the lights on. The other thing that happens is if you adjust the dash lights to brighter it makes the amb light dimmer. If you dim the dash it brightens the amb lights. Im sure with the right wiring skills you could get it to turn on when the doors open and what not. Not that skillful so just went with the direct plug ins.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BONES76
Working on uploading the pics. I have a GD3 and it is the 09 ambient kit. I had to modify the on/off switch a tad...because where it fits in next to the mirror switch is bit different. Besides the button ordeal it fits and connects perfectly....
Im sure you could always buy a switch that would fit in the slot.
Scion OEM Style Rocker Switch
I think the Scion stock switch is similar???

Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Remote starter for 07 Fit (GD3)

Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
anyone know about the remote engine start? That's the only part I want off the new fit. I would really like to remote start it now that its in the 20's outside at night and early mornings. I don't wanna plug in an engine oil heater, just have it start and warmup to defrost the windshield.
I first got the installation instructions for the 09 Remote Starter Kit. It uses a 13-pin and a 16-pin connector off the fuse box to connect into the car. I checked out my manual and found that there is only one 13-pin and one 16-pin connector. I thought great – Honda standardized their cars! So, I ordered the remote starter kit. I followed the instructions on taking apart the car and installing the parts. The antenna fit fine. The bracket for the electronic box of the remote starter mounts on the steering column brace – the brace is different on the 09. I had to drill two holes for the bracket screws and even then, the electronic box would mount backwards and up-side-down. Then the relay bracket needed to be trimmed back. The next step was to install the harness. With a mirror and lots of squirming, I found my 13-pin and 16-pin connectors and came to a dead stop! The 09 uses high density connectors while the GD3 still uses the standard low density connectors. There is no way to just plug the GE8 remote starter into the GD3 car. I will get a schematic of the remote starter and I will modify (change the connectors) the wiring harness to install the remote starter. I’m taking pictures…

I have not had the chance to look for the wiring diagram of the remote starter kit yet...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
GE8 camshaft in GD3 engine

Does anyone out there have the connections to find out if a GE8 (2009)camshaft will fit in a GD3 (2007) engine? The rockers would need to fit too…I think journal diameters and locations are all that is needed. I think this would be the greatest performance boost for the least amount of $$$$$ if it would fit...pun intended.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Jodele
I first got the installation instructions for the 09 Remote Starter Kit. It uses a 13-pin and a 16-pin connector off the fuse box to connect into the car. I checked out my manual and found that there is only one 13-pin and one 16-pin connector. I thought great – Honda standardized their cars! So, I ordered the remote starter kit. I followed the instructions on taking apart the car and installing the parts. The antenna fit fine. The bracket for the electronic box of the remote starter mounts on the steering column brace – the brace is different on the 09. I had to drill two holes for the bracket screws and even then, the electronic box would mount backwards and up-side-down. Then the relay bracket needed to be trimmed back. The next step was to install the harness. With a mirror and lots of squirming, I found my 13-pin and 16-pin connectors and came to a dead stop! The 09 uses high density connectors while the GD3 still uses the standard low density connectors. There is no way to just plug the GE8 remote starter into the GD3 car. I will get a schematic of the remote starter and I will modify (change the connectors) the wiring harness to install the remote starter. I’m taking pictures…

I have not had the chance to look for the wiring diagram of the remote starter kit yet...any help would be greatly appreciated.
dam there goes that idea

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Ambient Lights - my 2˘

I’ve installed the ambient (mood) lights deep (close to the firewall) and centered on the panel. The wire harness just barely reached! Select carefully the locations.

The switch width is good, but for ’09 the switch is 2mm shorter and the corner radius is much smaller on the ’09 switch. The switch will not fit into the socket because of the sharper corners. If you grind the corners off, the switch is still has about a 1mm gap at the top of the switch and at the bottom.

When I turned on the lights, I thought they didn’t work… I’ve changed the instrument light dimmer settings and that did not affect the ambient lights at all. The lights are soooo dim, that you have to place a piece of white paper or aluminum foil on the ground to get a bluish tint reflected. Highly polished shoes don’t even reflect that low bit of light that is emitted from those LEDs. If you would install about 4 to 6 of these LEDs on each side of the car, you might get enough light out of them to see something…blue would be nice.

After shipping, the $100 would be much better spent on an aftermarket lighting system.
Not worth the $100…and a lot more than my 2˘… <@ż@>

I am in the market for a switch that would fit…can someone give me a line on P/N and where to get one

thanx

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
So the rear head rests fit but they are too long. Anyone get them and trim? If so how do they work?? I would really really like to have this. Makes the magic seats so much nicer.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I’ve installed the ambient (mood) lights deep (close to the firewall) and centered on the panel. The wire harness just barely reached! Select carefully the locations.

The switch width is good, but for ’09 the switch is 2mm shorter and the corner radius is much smaller on the ’09 switch. The switch will not fit into the socket because of the sharper corners. If you grind the corners off, the switch is still has about a 1mm gap at the top of the switch and at the bottom.

When I turned on the lights, I thought they didn’t work… I’ve changed the instrument light dimmer settings and that did not affect the ambient lights at all. The lights are soooo dim, that you have to place a piece of white paper or aluminum foil on the ground to get a bluish tint reflected. Highly polished shoes don’t even reflect that low bit of light that is emitted from those LEDs. If you would install about 4 to 6 of these LEDs on each side of the car, you might get enough light out of them to see something…blue would be nice.

After shipping, the $100 would be much better spent on an aftermarket lighting system.
Not worth the $100…and a lot more than my 2˘… <@ż@>

I am in the market for a switch that would fit…can someone give me a line on P/N and where to get one

thanx
Thanks for posting. Do you have any way to take photos? And what exact lights did you install? The Honda ones? Is this an '09? Are the lights blue or supposed to be blue?

Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Updated first post.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Remote Starter

Hey guy,

I’m still working on making the remote starter work…

I still need the 2009 wiring manual to do the job right.

I’m sure that with a few connectors, I can make it work…

Though...good summary!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Wanted to see if eveyone that has did the headrest swap have any pics.
Also does anyone know if you can swap the steering wheel.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
Haven't seen it mentioned, but does anyone know if the leather steering wheel cover for the GE8 will fit the GD3 steering wheel?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
I'm going to the Honda Dealer tomorrow, whats the part number on that 09 AT shift knob.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lutherb69
Wanted to see if eveyone that has did the headrest swap have any pics.
Also does anyone know if you can swap the steering wheel.
I second this!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster

Hella balls for goin for it. The whole pin issue is something I was curious about. I can get wiring harnesses and stuff from honda, or clips, would much rather plug n play it tho ya know

Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
This is actually information about parts that transfer from the GD to the GE (and vice versa) but I thought folks reading this thread might be interested anyway.

According to this post the shifter assembly is the same in GD and GE models, which means that all of the nifty shifter bits for the GD can be used on the GE -- including the Mugen short shifter.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/551608-post18.html

Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
GE Wheels Fit on the GD too

Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 AM
5 Year Member
Got pics? I wanna see GE wheels on the GD3

Old 01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Solscud007
Got pics? I wanna see GE wheels on the GD3
check his sig right above you

Quick Reply: The Official "Transferable parts from GE8 to GD3" Thread