Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

devmail's 2007 SSM GD3 build - The Grey Goose

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member

It arrived, got a great price on it, never used, new in box. And yes, that left most runner outlet when viewed from the front does not exactly line up with the gasket hole...by about a mm or 2. It's sad that theyncouldnt get that right but perhaps there is a work around, like porting the head? 😁 Can't afford that for a long while. All the same, I won't fill bad drilling holes in this for direct port nitrous. 😎

Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
This turbulent point might be fixed by sanding the thermal intake manifold gasket so there is smooth flow leading into the head. I'll try it and see.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Removed the direct port plumbing for now and got the weapon r intake manifold installed. Didn't seem like much of a misalignment when I put the thermal intake manifold gasket up to the weapon r, so I didn't bother sanding anything at this time. Debating whether I should stay with a single nozzle nitrous or direct port, dont want to mark this new one up, haha. I zip tied the solenoids out of the way for now...still have to get that clutch and flywheel i installed before I think about nitrous. As a side note, this intake weighs 3.2 lbs less than stock.

Sure does add more bling to the engine bay.
So shiney!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
So shiny! Probably worth it just for the bling!

Old 03-14-2018, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member

Went back to a single fogger nitrous setup. Didn't have the heart to tap this manifold yet! I cleaned up the fuel rail and valve cover a bit while I had the manifold off. So shiny haha! The solenoid placement could be better but for now it works and I have the 75 shot jets in. 😎 i was initially concerned about the flow characteristics of the weapon r manifold and the single nozzle usage but after I took a peak inside the oem plenum, the weapon r plenum is better, although still not perfect. The oem manifold has a small, obstructed pathway leading to The top middle of the plenum, then it turns down towards the runners, but has to turn 180 degrees to get to the rightmost runners...wow.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Metal intakes are also a lot safer for nitrous use. The smallest "burp" can crack a plastic intake.

I had my share of nitrous backfires back in the day. I was always lucky and never did damage beyond blowing apart plastic air filter housings.

The only thing that looks a bit scary with the Weapon R is that the floor appears lower than the runners. I always worry more about fuel puddling than distribution. 75 shot isn't a lot of fuel though.

FWIW, that intake would look even cooler plumbed for direct port in my opinion. But, I used to be a nitrous junky so...

Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Metal intakes are also a lot safer for nitrous use. The smallest "burp" can crack a plastic intake.

I had my share of nitrous backfires back in the day. I was always lucky and never did damage beyond blowing apart plastic air filter housings.

The only thing that looks a bit scary with the Weapon R is that the floor appears lower than the runners. I always worry more about fuel puddling than distribution. 75 shot isn't a lot of fuel though.

FWIW, that intake would look even cooler plumbed for direct port in my opinion. But, I used to be a nitrous junky so...
I agree! It will be plumbed, I just need to buy more lines but i want to install the clutch and flywheel first. I thought about re bending the ones I have but they won't look too great. I think as long as I don't spray below 3000 I should be puddle free, hopefully!

Old 03-15-2018, 07:04 PM
so.. much... progress... awesome build.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
so.. much... progress... awesome build.
Thanks I appreciate it! Hopefully my progress will help others. There are some great build threads on here nowadays like GAFITs and idrivemyself, with lots of excellent info, I'm really happy to see as it helps the community grow.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Before.....
After....what's missing from this photo?

Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
The EGR base? Looks like you also changed the wire end to black?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
You are correct. I took the base off to clean it up and noticed the mounting bolts are the same thread and depth and ALMOST the same spacing as the EGR block off plate. The block near the alternator needed some shaving down and it just barely touch's the intake manifold flange. I put some gasket sealer around the coolant hole on the gasket on both sides to seal it off, put a plug on the other end of that attachment on the front of the block. Tightened it down, no the plate itself could use a little shaving but now it fit almost perfectly and so far no leaks. The result is the EGR section is completely removed and the block looks cleaner, plus about a pound of weight was lost.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member

Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Looks nice and clean that way!

Old 03-16-2018, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well this base may be responsible for some engine cooling. Driving today and the temp went from its usual 80 celcius to 85 fairly quickly then back down to 75 when the fan kicked on. Thermostat was recently changed, so I think I've discovered a function of this base. Will see if it happens again...can't see how such a small passage way could be responsible for it but ya never know.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Here is a pic. Coolant passes straight through but passes under what appears to be a heat sink fin.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
That should just be a coolant passage to keep the EGR at a constant temp. Like you, I'd be surprised if there's much cooling going on with that small section.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
That should just be a coolant passage to keep the EGR at a constant temp. Like you, I'd be surprised if there's much cooling going on with that small section.
well on a short drive the temp rose 15 degrees higher than usual 3 times. I'm going to hook the old setup back up and see what happens. May have to make my own plate with a coolant attachment.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
I was speculating that perhaps that line cools part of the head as well? More than just for the EGR? We will find out I guess haha.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Hooked everything back up the way it was and the car is still acting the same. I also noticed the heater is not blowing hot air when the coolant starts to overheat, no change in coolant level...symptoms of a failing thermostat which i just replaced a few months ago. Wierd, wonder if its because it was the cheapest thermostat i could find on rockauto? 😂

Quick Reply: devmail's 2007 SSM GD3 build - The Grey Goose