General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by abdamurph
No modifications at all, have had it check out been to dealer 3 times, tweaked things here and there, changed fuel injectors, changed out oil and still same issue. Working with Honda Corp also but they don't know what to do anymore, at this point don't even want the car anymore.
Will the dealer give you a loaner car for 2-3 days? Replicate your commute and see if that car does any better? That would prove the issue is (or isn't) your specific car...

Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM
We have already done that 3 times and it doesn't work, they take it out and drive mostly on freeway for less than 50 miles and come back and tell me it is getting 32 - 33 which to them means it is ok. Then I get it and drive home and it starts dropping as usual and when I fill up next time it is back to around 25 mpg. I have NEVER gotten over 250 miles on a full tank! I am not sure what my next step is, I might tell them have been talking to lawyer re lemon law and see if that scares them a bit but it could also go the other way around and they just stop communicating with me.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by abdamurph
We have already done that 3 times and it doesn't work, they take it out and drive mostly on freeway for less than 50 miles and come back and tell me it is getting 32 - 33 which to them means it is ok. Then I get it and drive home and it starts dropping as usual and when I fill up next time it is back to around 25 mpg. I have NEVER gotten over 250 miles on a full tank! I am not sure what my next step is, I might tell them have been talking to lawyer re lemon law and see if that scares them a bit but it could also go the other way around and they just stop communicating with me.
They drove your car, but I meant for you to drive another different Fit.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:39 PM
They do not have any loaner Fits like mine to drive actually really not any Fits, and they certainly won't let me drive another new one from their lot.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
abdamurph, I know this isn't going to make you happy, but you have to consider that it may be your driving style or where you are driving.

In order for the car to go through more fuel there are only a few possibilities...
1. the car is leaking gas
2. the car is running very rich (this would trigger a check engine light and the car would run rough)
3. there is too much drag/resistance - check to make sure the brakes aren't dragging, you don't have accessories like a bike rack or roof rack acting as a wind break, if it's an auto, check the transmission fluid for signs of premature wear, etc

If all of that checks out, it's likely your driving style or the way it's being used. Gas motors are fairly simple. They use fuel to move air to create power. When they use more fuel then they should there are telltale signs of why. If the dealer isn't finding those signs, it's likely you.

This is coming from someone that routinely gets worse fuel mileage than my wife under the same driving conditions. My style uses more fuel. I could change, but I like my style. LOL

Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM
I know all of this I have been trying everything for the last 6 mos also with friends that work on cars. I have had others take the car and drive to make sure it wasn't just me and they are getting the same gas mileage as me. I just think there is a problem they cannot find or are not trying hard enough or the car really is a lemon.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Have you only dealt with one dealer? If so, try a different one. Dealers are not created equally.

Like others have said the mileage is affected by driving style as well. My last 2 fill-up had a 5 MPG difference, from testing out a new intake and the other driving normally.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
abdamurph, is the car a CVT?

If so, make sure you are either using throttle to accelerate or are decelerating. You can easily add enough input to burn fuel without actually accelerating with the CVT. Make sure you use throttle to accelerate briskly and then back off the throttle as much as possible.

Your best economy will come from fairly hard acceleration followed by coasting. Light throttle will put it in limbo where it's burning fuel for no reason with the CVT. Think of a golf cart at half throttle. They make noise, but don't go anywhere.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:48 PM
upper shifting ratios

2015 LX 6 speed manual.

It's a great car, exceeding my expectations. I only find it annoying in one way: gears 4, 5 and 6 seem to be way too close together in ratios, and I'd like to have a really tall upper gear.

That's it. Pretty punchy engine, nice interior/efficiency, good feel, great mileage, and I totally geek out on the computer/audio etc. Just those short-shifting upper gears...

Old 09-30-2017, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
abdamurph, is the car a CVT?

If so, make sure you are either using throttle to accelerate or are decelerating. You can easily add enough input to burn fuel without actually accelerating with the CVT. Make sure you use throttle to accelerate briskly and then back off the throttle as much as possible.

Your best economy will come from fairly hard acceleration followed by coasting. Light throttle will put it in limbo where it's burning fuel for no reason with the CVT. Think of a golf cart at half throttle. They make noise, but don't go anywhere.
Your post makes no sense.
Fit is not a golf car. Any throttle position above idle when the car is moving is going to be used exactly as conditions dictate. Light and smooth acceleration helps to save fuel, not briskly acceleration. Really weird what you typed up above, murph.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
My 2013 Fit-EV ,, Has a thing honda call brake assist, :Begin rant: WTF!!!! it SUCKS!!!!

Your driving down the highway and traffic checks up, you tap the brakes firmly,
Holy anti lock batman.. The car takes over and e-stops the car down to about 15 before it releases the brakes.. Your stepping on the throttle and it wont go.. Until it slows to some mathematically calculated point where it returns control of the car.. Meanwhile your looking at a semi coming up who's probably wondering why that stupid car is stopped in the left lane... Id like to kick the Honda engineers ass into traffic that introduced it... :end rant mode:

Old 09-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh.. thought brake assist would be like hill assist (preventing rolling back driving up a hill from a stop), but no huh? wow.. dat almost sounds dangerous!

Old 10-01-2017, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
Your post makes no sense.
Fit is not a golf car. Any throttle position above idle when the car is moving is going to be used exactly as conditions dictate. Light and smooth acceleration helps to save fuel, not briskly acceleration. Really weird what you typed up above, murph.
Drive a CVT and you'll understand. You can easily give it enough throttle where it will take a block to gain 1 mph. During that time, it's wasting fuel trying to overcome the drivetrain loss of the CVT and operating at a higher than needed rpm. You are much better off accelerating briskly up to speed and then allowing it to move to it's highest "gear" setting and dropping to the lowest rpm.

Otherwise, it will hang at a higher than necessary rpm for miles and that extra fuel is a waste.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
Can you reference what you describing to anywhere published online?
I feel you are imagining things.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know about a FIT CVT but my Quad has a CVT and it works better with a more aggressive touch on the throttle than finessing it, it takes some spin to make the shivs move... Of course you'd think the fit CVT would handle it better. It a much more complicated system than a quad.

What hes describing i have also noticed on the Nissan Altima's (CVT) I've rented, you have to overshoot your target speed and let it settle if you want the tranny to adjust to the lowest RPM.. So firm acceleration to 57 then let it slow to the target 55 to get it in cruise and keep the revs at a lower number, of course it still goes wonky on hilly country

Old 10-01-2017, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
What was said about is correct.

Any form of acceleration with a CVT will have it operating above the steady speed rpm. With a CVT, it is better to get up to speed and then let off. It will maintain that lower rpm as long as it can.

What it boils down to is that acceleration is less efficient than maintaining or coasting. If you spend the entire time accelerating, you don't get the benefit of the increased economy of coasting or the benefit of lower rpm maintaining.

Play around with a CVT and you'll understand. I've driven quite a few including my Dad's CR-V and a friends Subaru. They all behave similarly.

BTW, my Dad is averaging a real 35mpg from his CR-V in mixed driving by doing what I'm saying. Not Fit economy, but spectacular for that type of vehicle once you factor in that he runs 75+ on the highway.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 PM
What was said about is correct.

Any form of acceleration with a CVT will have it operating above the steady speed rpm. With a CVT, it is better to get up to speed and then let off. It will maintain that lower rpm as long as it can.

What it boils down to is that acceleration is less efficient than maintaining or coasting. If you spend the entire time accelerating, you don't get the benefit of the increased economy of coasting or the benefit of lower rpm maintaining.

Play around with a CVT and you'll understand. I've driven quite a few including my Dad's CR-V and a friends Subaru. They all behave similarly.

BTW, my Dad is averaging a real 35mpg from his CR-V in mixed driving by doing what I'm saying. Not Fit economy, but spectacular for that type of vehicle once you factor in that he runs 75+ on the highway.
We may be in the minority, but I use the technique you describe here and it works for me, beautifully. I get great mileage, it just seems like its wasting so much energy accelerating. I know its designed this way but i also drove all past automatics this way, I was told long ago not to floor it but don't spend any more time than necessary in acceleration. Ten speed bicycle comes to mind, I much preferred cruising in a higher gear than pedaling my butt off in low gear.

Last edited by Corsair; 10-01-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member

You need to learn the meaning of terms: momentum, energy, inertia, the law of conservation of energy.

Then read your post and come back.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031

You need to learn the meaning of terms: momentum, energy, inertia, the law of conservation of energy.

Then read your post and come back.
I know those terms well. Do you even have a CVT or have seat time with one?

Could you please tell me how those have anything to do with a transmission that can be held at a higher rpm than necessary by using too much throttle?

Imagine your manual with a clutch that slips if you give it more throttle than is necessary for maintaining speed and that's what you have with a CVT. They return the best economy if you are at the lowest rpm possible and maintain a given speed. With the CVT, you can give it enough throttle to have near no impact on acceleration, but have it slip to a lower numerical ratio.

Edit - Crap! Sorry everyone for feeding this troll. I just realized who I was dealing with. The same person that thinks death is eminent with ANY vehicle modification and that it's physically impossible to improve the handling or braking ability of ANY vehicle. I will refrain from any more replies and will not read his further posts. Carry on and sorry again.

Last edited by GAFIT; 10-01-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I'm a new Fit owner, but I found the fact that accessory power is not continuous to be annoying. I like to recharge my GPS during my stops for work, but now I have to charge it while driving. The horror!

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit