General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
lack of outside temp display.
could use a 6th gear.
cruise control on base would be nice.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
I love my 2010 Fit (Sport, MT, Black Berry), HOWEVER, I do have one serious complaint:

The driver's side front blind spot due to the A-frame. I initially thought that the Fit had great all-round visibility. Within a week, I realized that there is a significant blind spot diagonally forward to the left hand side of the vehicle. It became noticeable when a pedestrian is crossing the street from the left hand side, and also on left turns, when I simply must keep shifting the position of my head to make sure there is nothing in the way of my turn.

Does anyone have the same problem? If so, have you figured out any good tricks to get around it? It is caused by the intrinsic design of the vehicle structure, or perhaps my seating position (I'm about 5-4, or 160cm), or the combination of both.

Now on a more positive note, I routinely get over 40mpg (17km/liter) - sometimes over 43mpg (18.5km/liter) during commuting on the highway. I make a point not to exceed 60-65mph (100km/h) and noticed that the efficiency goes down very quickly with higher speed. It may be frustrating for some to go slowly, but it's safer, more relaxing (or less stressful for every day commuting), it's better for the environment, and it could be a significant savings for some (though time is money for many of us also). Of course during big city driving, the efficiency goes down, but if it's suburban street driving (30-40 mph speed limit), I can easily get 40-42mpg. It's all about the way one drives.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:06 AM
5'10 no blind spot on FR left A pillar

btw "i cant drive 55....."

Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by broody
The yaris sedan en higher trims versa has the height adjustment, and jdm/edm fit also I think.
Has anyone ever swapped in the adjustable jdm/edm seats? Now that I've driven my first 900 miles with the Fit I can't really complain about the seating, I just had to get used to it and now I sit comfortably and in the perfect position for me. The hardest thing to get used to for me is the ride height, I was use to a lowered Civic hatch which felt like almost sitting on the ground. I soon found new respect for the Fit however when I took corners as fast and precise as my old Civic which has a full suspension and grippy tires. It has a nice strong chassis, and it helps that it's all brand new.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
locking glove box. i just realized this when thinking about going to the shooting range. what car doesnt have a locking compartment come on.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ankyle62
locking glove box. i just realized this when thinking about going to the shooting range. what car doesnt have a locking compartment come on.
Some small cars in Europe like the Toyota Aygo/107/c1 doesn't even have a glove box from factory, and I think that most sub compact and compact cars here doesn't have a locking glove box, so I think that's it's not something we should complain about. I think that one big box instead of two small would have been better though, but it's still all right.

Originally Posted by xSimply
Has anyone ever swapped in the adjustable jdm/edm seats? Now that I've driven my first 900 miles with the Fit I can't really complain about the seating, I just had to get used to it and now I sit comfortably and in the perfect position for me. The hardest thing to get used to for me is the ride height, I was use to a lowered Civic hatch which felt like almost sitting on the ground. I soon found new respect for the Fit however when I took corners as fast and precise as my old Civic which has a full suspension and grippy tires. It has a nice strong chassis, and it helps that it's all brand new.
I went to autoslalom twice with the car, all stock, and cheap all season tires (not OEM but about the same quality), and the car handles really well. It's a great car for those who want a cheap family car that can handle auto-x or track sometimes.

Last edited by broody; 09-14-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
2.5 areas Honda really dropped the ball with The Fit. I knew about this before I purchased so I can't complain too much.

#1. The carpeting. I heard it was cheap before I purchased. I heard right. IMO the carpet is too cheap. Honda should upgrade the quality. I guess the 2011's are going to come standard with floormats. Sorta a step in the right direction, when you sell a car with carpet as cheap as The Fit's it should at least come with floormats. Having tissue paper thin carpeting and then NO floormats and having to install hooks? Ridiculous....

#2. No locking gas cap release cover. Coupled with no real "Made for The Fit" locking gas cap available. I know there is one that can be used, but it's bigger and wasn't really made for The Fit.
Honda makes Mini-Scooters that have releasing and locking gas cap doors and mechanisms. So IMO no excuse.

In both cases these seem like pretty thought out decisions by Honda and that's discouraging. When you first look at a new car things like carpeting quality and fuel filler doors and locking gas caps or the lack there of, are things most people ignore or overlook.

I suppose if after 5 months of ownership these are the two biggest issues I have then it's still a pretty impressive win for The Honda Fit. But since I think the "cost" of improving these 2.5 negatives...would be pretty minimal I'd like to see Honda do it, if only for future owners.

Yes, it's Honda's entry level vehicle, but comparitively within it's class it is sold at a price premium compared to Versa's, Chevy Aereo's. I'm hoping fit and finish competition with the before mentioned and now with The Ford Fiesta motivates Honda to upgrade these area's.

In so many other area's The Fit is a great automobile, it's a shame Honda did not go just the few steps further to make these few area's more acceptable. I wouldn't be asking for top of the line luxury or quality...but given they sell a $3000 dollar mini-scooter with a releasing and locking fuel filler door and you'd think they could find an automotive carpet supplier and make a deal for simply a slightly better quality of carpeting...these two area's are pretty disapointing.

In a related note, I have hung around this forum since before I bought my Fit. I'm often amazed and amused, impressed and (sometimes) horrified by the Mods and adaptations I see many owners applying to their Fits.

But given the time, money and effort I see people putting into so many area's of The Fit, It's strange to me I seldom if ever hear about anyone upgrading the carpet. I guess while it's under warranty maybe you wouldn't want to, hoping it would be covered and replaced...but still seems strange that I've seen threads where people swap out everything from emblems to suspension but as poor as The Fits carpeting is in reality, seldom if ever do I remember anyone saying they were going to pull the carpet up and install something better. It would be a daunting task, but I've seen more challenging modifications made....

Also as far as locking glove box? It's absence hasn't really bothered me, so I can't say it's a huge drawback or I'd consider it an issue. BUT yeah, why not? Again Honda's Mini-Scooters having locking storage compartments...I'd expect even their entry level car to match the ammenities of their mini-scooters.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
On a scooter you can't lock the doors to keep the things safe, in a fit you put them in the trunk or glove box, lock the car, nobody is gonna steal it...
It's a good thing, but not a must like on a scooter.

And for the gas cap, I never had my gas stolend, I think it was more an issue 20-30 years ago than right now (my civic 1987 as a locking gas cap).

I'd prefere a trunk latch over a gas cap latch/lock.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
On a scooter you can't lock the doors to keep the things safe, in a fit you put them in the trunk or glove box, lock the car, nobody is gonna steal it...

And for the gas cap, I never had my gas stolend, I think it was more an issue 20-30 years ago than right now (my civic 1987 as a locking gas cap).

The Gas cap issue for me is not about people stealing my gas, it's about people possibly putting something in my tank(sugar,dirt,anything) very easily.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ankyle62
I may be mis-remembering, but I'm pretty sure that none of the 11 cars I have owned, starting with a 1956 Mercedes 190SL, had a locking glove box. Come on, indeed.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MrMondayNite
The Gas cap issue for me is not about people stealing my gas, it's about people possibly putting something in my tank(sugar,dirt,anything) very easily.
Must people must not even know that the fit just need to have the trap pressed to open, it just looks like any trap with a latch inside, so I don't think it's an issue. And I never heard of people putting stuff in tanks just for fun in my area.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
I have had to park and walk a mile in 107 degree weather when I could have used valet parking if I could lock my glove compartment or had a trunk... I think I'll just throw out the spare tire and load my stuff where it goes... Last trip I wore a safari vest, filled my pockets and found close up parking and didn't need the valets or the vest

Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Must people must not even know that the fit just need to have the trap pressed to open, it just looks like any trap with a latch inside, so I don't think it's an issue. And I never heard of people putting stuff in tanks just for fun in my area.
I'd rather not take that chance, Honda dropped the ball on this one.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 AM
I dislike black interiors. I hate the fabric Honda used in the 09 Sport.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah Broody, I realize scooters don't have doors.

And I'd prefer a releasing fuel filler door as well, but since The Fit has neither a locking gas cap NOR a locking releaseable fuel filler door, I don't see what your point is.

My point isn't really direct comparisons of a Fit to a Scooter, but simply the reality that somehow Honda is able to produce Scooters with these ammenities and keep the price economical, I don't see why they can't make them available in The Fit.

The history of the automotive industry is through competiton and development the bar slowly get's raised. My guess is with the success of the Fit itself, and the release of competing vehicles that are becoming better and better equipped we will see these improvements eventually.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM
In the UK one can get a refrigerated glove box in their JAZZ - I wonder if that locks??? Don't want anyone stealing my cold beverages...

Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
In the UK one can get a refrigerated glove box in their JAZZ - I wonder if that locks??? Don't want anyone stealing my cold beverages...
haha!
Thats amazing! WTB EDM Jazz glovebox! with or without a lock!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
lol... i love pretty much everything about the Fit, there are some improvements on the GE8 i really like but i still prefer my GD... but there are 2 things my GF does'nt like... no mirror on passenger visor, and that it corners like crazy

Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Yeah Broody, I realize scooters don't have doors.

And I'd prefer a releasing fuel filler door as well, but since The Fit has neither a locking gas cap NOR a locking releaseable fuel filler door, I don't see what your point is.

My point isn't really direct comparisons of a Fit to a Scooter, but simply the reality that somehow Honda is able to produce Scooters with these ammenities and keep the price economical, I don't see why they can't make them available in The Fit.

The history of the automotive industry is through competiton and development the bar slowly get's raised. My guess is with the success of the Fit itself, and the release of competing vehicles that are becoming better and better equipped we will see these improvements eventually.

In many domains, the bar/level of quality doesn't raise at all, or even get lower. By example, my 87 civic wagon has reclining rear seats, like the fit, yaris and many others now. But during the 90's, this idea was completely abandonned (in USA market at least).

And the scooter is cheap even with the locks because it has almost nothing on it. A car already has many things take make the price go up, the lock for the glovebox is much less important on a car than on a scooter, and car makers must make choice.

Some people will say it must have a locking glovebox and gas filler cap, some will ask for sun visor extensions, 6 speakers in the base model (there are even only 2 in cdm DX and none is some edm), a trunk latch from the inside, automatic A/C control, 6 speed, more sound deadening, better plastics, better oem tires, etc. The list goes on and on, and if they put all of these things, they will just end up with a small luxury car, that costs as much as an Accord. These things may sell in Europe (Audi A1, mercedes class A, citroen DS3, here the mini) but not here. For a fit, they just keep a few cool features that will make the car sell and ditch the rest (especially on our usdm model).
If you want all the amenities of a big car in a small car, just buy a big car. Especially that on highway they don't drink much gas anymore.

Last edited by broody; 09-17-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:09 AM
broody Outside of our continent the Fit and cars in it's class are respected as being real autos for real people and they do turn them into small 'luxury' cars. Take a peek at HondaUK and see what you can do to a Jazz. Over here they tend to be looked down on and not profitable for the manufactures to produce.

This profile is changing, but 'our' love for large vehicles is driving the market and the tax advantages are too valuable to the manufactures to ignore it [say SUV/truck/lobbyists].

The Fit is nothing special - there's many cars in the class - it just fits well. Some times I wished it fit better, but not on this side of the pond I guess. We've been getting sold a bill-of-goods for many a year.

We're all running around now as if fuel economy was just figured out. I'm sorry to say we all should have come to a sense of reality back in the 70's. All that came out of that decade was a really bad relationship with Iran and an administration that took the solar panels off the White House??? And where was Canada... same same.

Time to sleep.

K_C_

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit