2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
No matter how conservative or spirited i drive, the best ive ever hit is 28mpg. Not 1 time have i ever hit 30mpg or more.

Thats what pisses me off most about this car. I have 100hp and get 26mpg.

My C5 Z06 had 405hp (388whp) and was get 28mpg
I definitely feel you. I have a mpg and hp expectation. If i'm getting 26 mpg, i want the hp to be in line with the mpg.

What's the elevation change in your parts? The worst mpg during my trip was in a highway of rolling hills. The elevation started at 75 ft above sea level and i ended at about 500 ish. most of the mpg drop was probably the 100-150 ft hills.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:18 AM
Elevation here is right around 300ft above sea level.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Regarding MPG I agree. I mean I dont have anything drastic, 5spd, lighter wheels, slight drop, injen intake and tanabe exhaust. I'm in San Diego so most of my driving is stop-go traffic and I avg 29-31.

This holiday weekend I was driving to family which was open highway due to less people driving...and I got 35mpg for that tank...best I've EVER gotten. Typically I'm in the 29-31 range.

I mean I think about my stock 99 civic hatch that got 27-30 with me driving like a bat outta hell. 300ish miles/11ish gallons vs 285ish miles/9ish gallons driving conservatively in the Fit. Gearing I'd imagine plays a huge role.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:56 PM
I dont know, for how little power the Fit has the MPG's just dont reflect accordingly.

Its been pretty frustrating.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
I dont know, for how little power the Fit has the MPG's just dont reflect accordingly.

Its been pretty frustrating.
I think that is because our car with our small engine don't have torque so we have to rev it up a lot to get to speed (or maintain speed), plus as a small wagon, it "might" have more frontal area than a Civic meaning a bit more drag...
What I notice is, with Sprintex Supercharger and proper tune, my engine is now "more lazy kind of engine" meaning I don't really have to wait for higher rpm before the car have power to accelerate,
meaning my car now hold gear at less time and immediately able to upshift so that kind of rpm/shift pattern help compensate for the more rich fuel ratio needed to run the Sprintex safely.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Old 12-28-2016, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Wow...Clearly I don't know how to drive my GE8 efficiently...Bravo!

Old 12-28-2016, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Wow...Clearly I don't know how to drive my GE8 efficiently...Bravo!
Snow tires + cold + Winter mix gas is KILLING me right now. First winter on snows & eek do they ever kill economy.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Banned
I believe the Fit needs a K20 to be truly fuel efficient

Old 12-28-2016, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Are you guys going off the instant reading? Or doing a calculation? I think the instant read out is fairly accurate, and mine shows 4-5 l/100km regardless of the speed i go. Maybe 0w-20 oil will help, and 34 psi cold in front tires. I also have a resistance spring on my gas pedal which makes it harder to press the gas, and a little easier to drive conservatively.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going off MPG reading + Miles driven/gallons filled at the pump.

Resistance spring? Is that standard? All it makes me think of are those hand grip strengtheners lol.

On a suspension related question, my GE8 had a Progress RSB already when I purchased the car. Did anyone notice a huge/noticeable difference in ride quality before/after installing theirs? My rear passengers say they feel EVERYTHING. And all I can think of is either the swift springs OR the RSB and I'm leaning towards the RSB being culprit.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GE fit today?-improve-grip-strength-hand-grippers.jpg  

Last edited by shinjari; 12-28-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member

On a suspension related question, my GE8 had a Progress RSB already when I purchased the car. Did anyone notice a huge/noticeable difference in ride quality before/after installing theirs? My rear passengers say they feel EVERYTHING. And all I can think of is either the swift springs OR the RSB and I'm leaning towards the RSB being culprit.

Hi Shinjari,

I can confirm that it is the Progress Rear Sway Bar that make everything at the back much firmer.
I do my suspension upgrade step by step, and Progress Rear Sway Bar was the last one I install after coilover and front Spoon Sway Bar, so I can feel the differences.
But you are the priority so my advise is to keep your Progress RSB and let the rear passenger suffer

Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hi Shinjari,

I can confirm that it is the Progress Rear Sway Bar that make everything at the back much firmer.
I do my suspension upgrade step by step, and Progress Rear Sway Bar was the last one I install after coilover and front Spoon Sway Bar, so I can feel the differences.
But you are the priority so my advise is to keep your Progress RSB and let the rear passenger suffer
My thoughts exactly.

So going to Bilstein coilovers will help the suspension in turns/corners vs OEM struts/Swifts...but not improve the rear passenger comfort?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going off MPG reading + Miles driven/gallons filled at the pump.

Resistance spring? Is that standard? All it makes me think of are those hand grip strengtheners lol.

Nah there was a diy somewhere around here. I basically got a spring that is meant to be stretched out and put two hooks on the end. Dipped the hooks in plastidip for rubberized grip and hooked on end onto the gas pedal, the other end on the metal frame.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
My thoughts exactly.

So going to Bilstein coilovers will help the suspension in turns/corners vs OEM struts/Swifts...but not improve the rear passenger comfort?
Hi Shinjari,
what that Progress RSB do is actually limiting the amount of travel on the rear axle. Ours might look like a solid rear axle but it actually one giant torsion bar.
The Progress RSB increase the torsion resistance of the bar, so it's like adding an extra torsion bar on the giant torsion bar.
That is why the Progress RSB able to control the body sway but at the expense of harsher ride (like increasing your rear spring rate too).

If you change to Bilstein coil over from your current Swift/oem strut/shocks combo,
it might still help with the comfort because the Bilstein use Progressive spring rate meaning the first few mm of initial suspension travel will initially be soft to absorb bump, and the higher quality and larger diameter shocks/struts of the Bilstein unit should be able to absorb/damp the movement better.

But what I suggest you to do is,
first take out the Progress RSB and see how the Swift/stock OEM shock handle and comfort for you.

Then replace with Bilstein coil over and feel the difference,
and after that, install the Progress RSB back with the Bilstein and see if you still like it.
if not, then you can always take out the Progress RSB and just use the Bilstein without Progress RSB.

I am confident you will still like the Bilstein more than the swift/stock shock/strut combo regardless whether you use the Progress RSB or not.

My last setup when I still have my Bilstein was Bilstein, Spoon FSB and Progress RSB and I still feel very comfortable driving my car everyday.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys, I've been rethinking selling my GE because it makes no sense to get rid of a car that's paid off & is reliable for something that's more fun....when I already own a fun car & that blows a fun daily out of the water.

That said, I'd like to do something to it to make it a better daily/bring it into 2016 a bit.

My thoughts are:

-Koni orange all around (already have rears that I've had sitting around for over a year)
-Swift Springs
-Replace RPF1 with something I don't hate
-Dynamat in doors
-Replace speakers in doors/add amp
-Re-locate bluetooth mic & mate steering wheel controls w/ head unit.

Am I missing anything? If I could make the car more comfortable that'd be the biggest win, but I'm not going to replace the seats b/c seat airbags.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Depends on your budget and sense of style. But i would suggest headunit if you didnt already have one, leather seats, LED turn signals and DRLS, projector retrofit(best upgrade ever), and possibly digital climate control if youre so inclined to do it.

Center console armrest is nice. But those are my thoughts as far as modernizing the car goes.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
Depends on your budget and sense of style. But i would suggest headunit if you didnt already have one, leather seats, LED turn signals and DRLS, projector retrofit(best upgrade ever), and possibly digital climate control if youre so inclined to do it.

Center console armrest is nice. But those are my thoughts as far as modernizing the car goes.
I've got a double DIN touchscreen, just not hooked up to the steering wheel controls.

Leather is too temperature variable (but nicer aesthetically)

Projectors may be nice, S2000 lighting reminds me how bad the Fit's is.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Get the morimoto d2s 4.0, ive heard the output is really good. And theyre simple to install unlike oem projectors.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Hey guys, I've been rethinking selling my GE because it makes no sense to get rid of a car that's paid off & is reliable for something that's more fun....when I already own a fun car & that blows a fun daily out of the water.

That said, I'd like to do something to it to make it a better daily/bring it into 2016 a bit.

My thoughts are:

-Koni orange all around (already have rears that I've had sitting around for over a year)
-Swift Springs
-Replace RPF1 with something I don't hate
-Dynamat in doors
-Replace speakers in doors/add amp
-Re-locate bluetooth mic & mate steering wheel controls w/ head unit.

Am I missing anything? If I could make the car more comfortable that'd be the biggest win, but I'm not going to replace the seats b/c seat airbags.
I totally agree with your upgrading ideas above,
If I may recommend, I would sell the Swift/Rear Koni shocks and just go directly to Bilstein coil over.
You can lower your car a bit more than the Swift and it will make the car feel very different (in a much better way).

Now regarding audio upgrades:
in fact, this past few days I had been researching on what is the best way to upgrade the audio system...
well since I don't have the money now to buy the actual speaker/head unit/amp,
so I do the next best thing which is buying the parts that is needed to install them and only if the parts is a good deal...

I found this amazing deal on eBay few days ago and the parts just arrive today...

someone had a complete NEW set of Dynaudio Esotar 3 Way Set original Mounting Trim Ring which cost hundreds of dollars new but he let it go for just $40 including shipping, so I got to buy them.
Turn out it also came with all the original bolts and the tools too.
Great seller!
Now, I just need to find a way to get money to buy the actual speakers though

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GE fit today?-80-img_0288_3270291448941d0c4676e969502c0dc8b36e743b.jpg  

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 12-29-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?