2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
Also, lot of online sites in Quebec that you can buy tires...

Old 07-03-2019, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I guess its a matter of opinion then.
No. A 195 or a 205 is simply not stretched on a 7" wheel. If a wheel's width is within the tire manufacturer's specified range for that tire size....it is not stretched.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
No. A 195 or a 205 is simply not stretched on a 7" wheel. If a wheel's width is within the tire manufacturer's specified range for that tire size....it is not stretched.
I'm not talking about the definition of stretched tires. I didn't claim that is was stretched.

I'm talking about the way it looks to me. And I dislike the way it looks, that's all there is. I'm not sure why you're continuing to argue a matter of preference/opinion.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Traded in the Fit for a 2019 Honda CRV Touring in modern steel with black leather. It will serve as my daily. The BMW is my weekend baby.

Last edited by Marmugmotleocay; 07-04-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
Installed the big brake kit for the front of my Fit Thursday, will install the rear disc conversion today. Pics to follow later today.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MontrealFit2012
Hi
The performance tire store near me
doesn’t have the Michelin Pilot 4S in stock
but he does have the
‘Fire-hawk’ Firestone Indy 500 tire in
Any thoughts on those??
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hi Montreal,
I never tried Firestone product before so I can't comment. I had driven some Bridgestone Summer performance tires (RE050) (Bridgestone owns Firestone) and they were great, but they were not as good as the Michelin Pilot Supersport or 4S model.
Can you buy from Tire Rack?
Hi Montreal,

Just another testament of the good quality of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s below... It really worth it to try to get this tire for your car, note that you will be driving with this tire for at least another 2 years

The latest (just launched yesterday) AMG CLA45s with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s as standard equipment tire:

2020 Mercedes-AMG CLA 45 revealed with 382 horsepower and trick AWD - Autoblog

Old 07-06-2019, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
While my 2 Sons polish and wax my car, I install the Recaro SR-7 ASM Limited Ruby on the driver side (passenger side have to wait due to much more complex modification involving load cell, and OPDS sensor):

DIY Step by Step to install is here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1431750

Old 07-06-2019, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Painted my Tires

Got tired of applying tire dressing so I painted my tires with Dupli-Color tire paint. I wonder how long it will last?

Old 07-06-2019, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
Installed the big brake kit for the front of my Fit Thursday, will install the rear disc conversion today. Pics to follow later today.
What setup did/are you putting on for the BBK & rear disc?

I already have the BBK set from last year that I couldn’t return. It didn’t fit inside 16” Enkei ROF01. But I’ve finally replaced the wheel with 17” wheels, so I’ll be doing the BBK sooner or later. I’m only asking out of curiosity in regards to the BBK

What will determine if I’ll do the BBK sooner rather than later is if I’ll attempt the rear disc swap. And if I do, when.

If I don’t do the rear, or it rakes a while before I do the rear swap, then I’ll do the BBK ASAP. Otherwise, I’ll wait to do both at the same time.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
What setup did/are you putting on for the BBK & rear disc?

I already have the BBK set from last year that I couldn’t return. It didn’t fit inside 16” Enkei ROF01. But I’ve finally replaced the wheel with 17” wheels, so I’ll be doing the BBK sooner or later. I’m only asking out of curiosity in regards to the BBK

What will determine if I’ll do the BBK sooner rather than later is if I’ll attempt the rear disc swap. And if I do, when.

If I don’t do the rear, or it rakes a while before I do the rear swap, then I’ll do the BBK ASAP. Otherwise, I’ll wait to do both at the same time.
I ended up using the brake caliper from a '99 Integra type R, 280 mm rotors off a base Mini Cooper, and the fastbrakes conversion for the rear (which uses RSX rear brakes, I don't know what sort of rotors.

Unfortunately I only have one picture. Ended up fighting back pain with a kidney stone, wasn't thinking to take pictures. Install went well until I got to the brake lines. They gave me one that was way too short to reach from the body to the caliper. So we rigged up a prebent 6 inch hardline to bridge the gap. The brackets to hold on the parking brake must be made from adamantium, because it's impossible to open them up to slide them up the parking brake cable. Ended up scooting one with an air chisel and the other we cut away part of an extra sheath to get it to move to the right position.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
I ended up using the brake caliper from a '99 Integra type R, 280 mm rotors off a base Mini Cooper, and the fastbrakes conversion for the rear (which uses RSX rear brakes, I don't know what sort of rotors.

Unfortunately I only have one picture. Ended up fighting back pain with a kidney stone, wasn't thinking to take pictures. Install went well until I got to the brake lines. They gave me one that was way too short to reach from the body to the caliper. So we rigged up a prebent 6 inch hardline to bridge the gap. The brackets to hold on the parking brake must be made from adamantium, because it's impossible to open them up to slide them up the parking brake cable. Ended up scooting one with an air chisel and the other we cut away part of an extra sheath to get it to move to the right position.
Oh, that's strange. Steven Hung did the FastBrake kit too, but didn't mention any issue with the brake line. I wonder if FB used a different part or SH simply forgot to mention it.

I was really hoping you had come up with some sort of rear brake setup that used caliper pots on both sides of the rotor. Oh well.

I think I'll hold off on the rear swap. Putting in an order now would just delay doing the BBK, assuming it'll still take a while for FB to get all the parts together like they did last time. I made an order around the same time I bought the BBK, but cancelled it before they shipped it (took a 15% restocking fee) before I found out I couldn't return the BBK. Should've just kept the order. But, more importantly, I just remembered... I need to chill on the spending, at least until my checking account recovers from the property tax, new wheels, etc. So, I guess I'll do the BBK when I get the chance and then order the rear swap when the account looks a little less threatening.

I can't really say I regret my BBK purchase, but it would've been nice if I could've avoided having to buy new wheels to fit the BBK. I'm assuming you're either running stock or aftermarket wheels in 16", right?

~~~~~

Back pain and a kidney stone... that's harsh. Hope you're feeling better.

~~~~~

Man, what's with my typos in my previous post... I'll blame my iPad. =.='

Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, that's strange. Steven Hung did the FastBrake kit too, but didn't mention any issue with the brake line. I wonder if FB used a different part or SH simply forgot to mention it.

I was really hoping you had come up with some sort of rear brake setup that used caliper pots on both sides of the rotor. Oh well.

I think I'll hold off on the rear swap. Putting in an order now would just delay doing the BBK, assuming it'll still take a while for FB to get all the parts together like they did last time. I made an order around the same time I bought the BBK, but cancelled it before they shipped it (took a 15% restocking fee) before I found out I couldn't return the BBK. Should've just kept the order. But, more importantly, I just remembered... I need to chill on the spending, at least until my checking account recovers from the property tax, new wheels, etc. So, I guess I'll do the BBK when I get the chance and then order the rear swap when the account looks a little less threatening.

I can't really say I regret my BBK purchase, but it would've been nice if I could've avoided having to buy new wheels to fit the BBK. I'm assuming you're either running stock or aftermarket wheels in 16", right?

~~~~~

Back pain and a kidney stone... that's harsh. Hope you're feeling better.

~~~~~

Man, what's with my typos in my previous post... I'll blame my iPad. =.='
At a minimum you need those brackets to make it work. The rest can be piece together on its own but these brackets make it.

I have the original wheels on it, the stock 16 alloy wheels. I want to run a higher offset 16 down the road to fill out the fenders a bit but these fit pretty well. Only clearance issue I'd see is you need to be careful running the parking brake cable out the underside of the caliper, I've got about an inch-inch and a half clearance behind the wheel. The fronts fit well within the wheels, no clearance issues up there. I remember reading somewhere they'll take 12.3 inch brakes. Having had a day to bed the brakes in this car stops hard now. It used to have pedal sink under decent braking, not any more. Sure it hurt like hell, spent 11 hours in the driveway getting this to fit in Alabama heat, and took a trip to the ER afterwards but feeling how well this stops today its worth it. Speaking of which yeah I think I passed it early this morning, didn't notice till I heard the little clink noise in the bowl. Lesson learned, drink more water.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
DREMEL the right rear lower rubber spring bushing to make it sit straight on top of the bolt from Progress rear sway bar:

Did the Alignment with my alignment tool myself:

Old 07-08-2019, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
At a minimum you need those brackets to make it work. The rest can be piece together on its own but these brackets make it.

I have the original wheels on it, the stock 16 alloy wheels. I want to run a higher offset 16 down the road to fill out the fenders a bit but these fit pretty well. Only clearance issue I'd see is you need to be careful running the parking brake cable out the underside of the caliper, I've got about an inch-inch and a half clearance behind the wheel. The fronts fit well within the wheels, no clearance issues up there. I remember reading somewhere they'll take 12.3 inch brakes. Having had a day to bed the brakes in this car stops hard now. It used to have pedal sink under decent braking, not any more. Sure it hurt like hell, spent 11 hours in the driveway getting this to fit in Alabama heat, and took a trip to the ER afterwards but feeling how well this stops today its worth it. Speaking of which yeah I think I passed it early this morning, didn't notice till I heard the little clink noise in the bowl. Lesson learned, drink more water.
You mean lower offset, don't you? The stock wheels already have a high offset of +53. The RPF01 I had were +43, which looked okay-ish in the back, but "poked" too far out in front for my tastes. The PF01 is +45 and the poke is lessened a little. And because the sidewall is shorter for a 17" wheel, it bulges out even less than before. I wonder if I would've like a +48 even more in front. Or maybe 6.5" wide wheels instead of the 7". The rear is... looking deeper now. And I'm not feeling like using spacers. Can't win.

I don't know if the stock wheels can take 12.3" brake rotors (not doubting it, just plain don't know). The Wilwood BBK uses 12.19" rotors with their Dynalite calipers. And technically it does fit in the 16" RPF01s, by the tiniest of hairs... but only if you take out the weights. When I started the test fit, I put the RPF01 over the BBK and saw it fit. I was like "LUCKY!" Then, I slowly spun the wheel around and saw the caliper hit the wheel weight... nope, not lucky. I ended up laughing at myself for a minute. From what I remember, I measured the stock wheels sitting in the garage and it looked like the barrel is roughly shaped the same, primarily the part of the barrel where the TPMS module sits (and in my case, the same part where the weights sit)... roughly 14" diameter for both. So I had suspected that it would most likely hit the weights there too. Forgot to test the stock wheels before I angrily unmounted the BBK.

A 12.3" rotor would need a caliper that extends out, past the rotor, far less than what I have (which is about 0.9" by my calculations).

Of course, you could just as easily use spacers to push the wheel out, thereby pushing the weights and TPMS portion of the wheel past the brake calipers. Then you could probably go even bigger on the rotor.

Hopefully, I'll remember what you said about the rear brakes, if/when I do the swap.

~~~~~

As far as stopping goes... the DPHA Wilwoods I got actually do a sufficient job. The BBK is now more for form than function for me.

~~~~~

Oh man... I barely drink water as it is... my future not looking pleasant.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
I guess it's gonna be a double post... my previous post is already long enough. This one is even longer, a LOT longer.

So, I finally did it. It took a while and some effort, but it's done.

Oh wait, that's just my dinner. Clearly I didn't make it myself, since its still edible.

Before:

After:

I think I got my phone's camera position at the same spot. Hopefully, it shows the relative difference in size of the two.

Is it me, or is the older caliper bigger than the new caliper? I also liked the way the older one looks, with it being "smoother" overall. Oh, I guess that extra material that makes it look smooth is why its bigger.

Fills out nicely.

That was from last week for comparison.

Look ma, no spacers!!!

When I test fit this last year with my RPF01, it actually came in contact with the spokes. That's solvable via a really thin spacer, of which, I did order a 3mm one. But didn't solve the issue of the wheel weights.

And if you thought the previous front brakes were dinky... here's the rear wheel. GAH.

The drum is almost the same size as the just the hat on the new rotor!

~~~~~

Edit: forgot to mention that a person should always properly bleed their brakes. Originally, when I was swapping the brake line from the old caliper to the new one, I cracked open the bleeder valves until fluid came out and I thought it was enough.

It’s quite terrifying just going down my short driveway with ZERO brakes. Mamma Mia!

Good thing it was just a test and the e-brakes worked. Pulled back in using the e-brake again and then bled it on the ground.

~~~~~

Sorry, I usually try to avoid posting too many pictures or making it too lengthy.

Last edited by Goobers; 07-09-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 AM
The front brake rotors look great! Ribs could use more pickles though.

You could always buy a cheap "big brake look cover" for the rear drums. Maybe some stickers too.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
The front brake rotors look great!
Thanks.

Ribs could use more pickles though.
That, they do.

You could always buy a cheap "big brake look cover" for the rear drums. Maybe some stickers too.
I didn't know such covers existed for drums.

Oh, found this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inPc...outu.be&t=2145

Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks.

That, they do.

I didn't know such covers existed for drums.

Oh, found this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inPc...outu.be&t=2145
I was just about to link MCM. Good stuff, been following them since 2010

Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome looking brakes and wheels Goobers!! MCM is great too!!

Old 07-09-2019, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
I was just about to link MCM. Good stuff, been following them since 2010
Originally Posted by GolNat
Awesome looking brakes and wheels Goobers!! MCM is great too!!
Thanks.

I haven’t seen too many of their videos., but did catch one where they did an e-car conversion.

~~~~~

Had to do a supply run at Restaurant Depot. Was a little worried that I would be overworking the suspension. But luckily, I didn’t have to buy too much stuff. Even though it took up a little more room than my Pepsi resupply at Costco, it weighed about half as much.

Normally, my Costco visits end up with a wide scruff ring along the outer sidewall of the rear tires. Nothing appeared this time, but I guess it would need to be the same run to be sure. I hope the higher offset helps in that regards.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?