2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Today, I abandoned my Fit at the dealership.

The clutch is fragged, they need to order the parts from their warehouse to work on it tomorrow.

I got a loaner HRV. And I'm f-in jealous of that one too...

How freaking easy is that to change the spark plugs, compared to our Fits!!! Damn you Honda!

Old 07-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers

The clutch is fragged, they need to order the parts from their warehouse to work on it tomorrow.

How freaking easy is that to change the spark plugs, compared to our Fits!!! Damn you Honda!
Bummer about the clutch. But a loaner is always fun to mess around in.

Perhaps they expect to access the spark plugs often, so the design was flipped.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Do you know if the springs from an rsx fit the 2016 fit

I need help figuring out if the srings from an rsx fit the 2016 fit cause I have a set of brand new ones

Old 07-25-2019, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by uRabbit
I should be asking you for a photo! I pulled mine across through the weather stripping, then straight out of it. That leaves the interior susceptible to water damage though.
The black wire going through the rubber tube seal (but on the outside of the loom plastic tube) is the dashcam wire.

VaVa

Last edited by okayhoang; 07-25-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by okayhoang
The black wire going through the rubber tube seal (but on the outside of the loom plastic tube) is the dashcam wire.

VaVa
That is awesome!

How'd you manage to get the cable into the tubing?

Old 07-25-2019, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
That is awesome!
How'd you manage to get the cable into the tubing?
Under the roof panel in the rear passenger side, there are a few holes you can pass the wire through, pull it out once you see it from the hole outside where the rubber tube seal is.

With patience, slowly press the usb connector through the rubber and once it’s out, you run it into the hole where the brake electrical goes.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by okayhoang
Under the roof panel in the rear passenger side, there are a few holes you can pass the wire through, pull it out once you see it from the hole outside where the rubber tube seal is.

With patience, slowly press the usb connector through the rubber and once it’s out, you run it into the hole where the brake electrical goes.
I'm going to try this on Sunday! Thanks!

Old 07-25-2019, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to try this on Sunday! Thanks!
In case your cable has an angle port like mine did on one end, I’d recommend working the “opposite” with the straight connecting port instead, it’ll be much easier to get it thru the tube seal.

The red lines below should help you get the idea on how to run it.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member

You're having your clutch changed on a super charged out of warranty car at a dealership?

Why?

Old 07-26-2019, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
You're having your clutch changed on a super charged out of warranty car at a dealership?

Why?
Why not?

~~~~~

Is it more expensive than some potential small shop? Sure. But in order for me to use said shop, I have to have a bunch of other things...

There are two shops I could use, where one is far and other is REALLY far, but neither are located near a car rental location. Because my Fit is my only car, I need to rent something immediately so that I can do deliveries with it. While my sister lives some 10-15 minutes from me, I've long since stopped counting on her for any "favors" as it appears that she has no issue demanding them, but refuses any in return. I mean, when her van needed to go to a shop, I went with her despite being tired and sleepy after work, but when my car needed to go to a shop, I got a thousand excuses and ended up taking the bus and then walking close to a mile in the middle of a heavy winter (that was the nearest bus stop to the shop) when I needed to pick it up.

Oh, my sister has two vehicles (technically a third, being a Pathfinder sitting on blocks), any of which I "could" borrow... well, go re-read the earlier line about favors and excuses.

*sigh* I need to calm down.

The estimate for the job is $2300... and I know that taking it to a non-dealership shop would be far, FAR cheaper... but that is less painful, for me, than the alternative (hint: favors and excuses).

I get that some folks are all about the DIY and/or "not getting conned" by dealerships... but sometimes you just gotta do what you have to.

Last edited by Goobers; 07-26-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Why not?

~~~~~

Is it more expensive than some potential small shop? Sure. But in order for me to use said shop, I have to have a bunch of other things...

There are two shops I could use, where one is far and other is REALLY far, but neither are located near a car rental location. Because my Fit is my only car, I need to rent something immediately so that I can do deliveries with it. While my sister lives some 10-15 minutes from me, I've long since stopped counting on her for any "favors" as it appears that she has no issue demanding them, but refuses any in return. I mean, when her van needed to go to a shop, I went with her despite being tired and sleepy after work, but when my car needed to go to a shop, I got a thousand excuses and ended up taking the bus and then walking close to a mile in the middle of a heavy winter (that was the nearest bus stop to the shop) when I needed to pick it up.

Oh, my sister has two vehicles (technically a third, being a Pathfinder sitting on blocks), any of which I "could" borrow... well, go re-read the earlier line about favors and excuses.

*sigh* I need to calm down.

The estimate for the job is $2300... and I know that taking it to a non-dealership shop would be far, FAR cheaper... but that is less painful, for me, than the alternative (hint: favors and excuses).

I get that some folks are all about the DIY and/or "not getting conned" by dealerships... but sometimes you just gotta do what you have to.
I just wouldn't want dealership guys messing with a modified car or a stock clutch on a car with 50% more than OE output.

If your situation surrounding any repairs is as dire as you make it sound, maybe you shouldn't be spending thousands modifying the car.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I just wouldn't want dealership guys messing with a modified car or a stock clutch on a car with 50% more than OE output.

If your situation surrounding any repairs is as dire as you make it sound, maybe you shouldn't be spending thousands modifying the car.
I haven't dyno'd my Fit and doesn't run on anything other than factory tune (no piggyback). Even so, the original estimate for added power was something like 35 hp. And that's on top of the official HP, not at the wheel HP (meaning the net added effect is less at the wheel just like the official HP numbers). At best, that's something like 30%.

And it feels like its about there (maybe a little less)... definitely not 50% or the "YMMV" 67% they now claim on their Australian site.

That said... they don't have any reason to mess with the sc, so I can only hope they don't. This would hold true with pretty much any shop though.

As for the stock clutch... well, I put the sc on the Fit when the stock clutch had 63k miles already on it... and now it failed at 163k miles, so I'd say, its good enough for now.

I don't claim to be a racer, do AX or and such activities... the most I can claim is being spirited on local roads.

~~~~~

Now, for my mods... don't know what to say. I choose mods that I feel add to my driving experience and aside from the sc, don't require extensive down time nor shop help. The sc took two days since it was my first big mod (talk about diving into the deep end first). I can probably revert it to stock in just a few hours now that I'm used to it.

Its been repairs that have required down time.

Mods requiring repair... sc needed to be shipped off for rebuilding (after four years of use) and shocks/struts/springs (expected wear and tear?).

Factory parts needing repair/replacement... snapped front passenger axle, broken cam chain case mount, ruined engine spark plug threads, worn front sway bar end links, HVAC blower/resistor, AC compressor, the AC button itself (3 times now). And of course, the clutch. I think that's all of them, but who knows.

And from the list, it doesn't appear any of them are related to my mods either. The axle may have been accelerated by the sc, but my guess is the issue started when my front right wheel went off the road and the sub-frame hit the ground. The clutch could be blamed on the sc about as much as a bad driver could be the blame (I don't claim to be good at driving a manual trans)... so, pick your poison there.

While your argument might hold water as far as you're concerned, it doesn't really work for me.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
but sometimes you just gotta do what you have to.
That's what a lot of things come down too.

Also a shop is only as good as the tech's they hire. I worked at a chain service place years ago when I was laid off and they had some great mechanics and techs working for them. Guys that I wouldn't hesitate letting them work on my car. They all came from dealers and were tired of the politics and BS. My local Honda dealer seems to have a great crew. The dealer may cost more but if its a good dealer then they will make sure it is done correctly and have those nice perks like a loaner. Small mom and pop places are great too if you have one close and they have good tech's.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Installed coilovers and ITR brakes...

Old 07-26-2019, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
^ Looking good. That awesome color helps too

Old 07-27-2019, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by GolNat
^ Looking good. That awesome color helps too
Thanks!

Old 07-27-2019, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
I visited the forum a lot during the day, but kept forgetting to actually post.

I picked up the Fit from the dealership... total cost for repairs was a whopping $2500.

Actually, it was more than that, but there was a 10% discount. It doesn't state where the discount came from and my best guess is because I was there for AC compressor repairs two weeks ago. Well, whatever.

~~~~~

As for the repairs... you ever get so used to something old, beaten up and takes a little effort to use, that when you get a brand new replacement, the effortlessness of it all is freaky? Every time I pressed the clutch pedal, it was so light and easy, I was actually unnerved for a while.

I eventually got used to it, but I actually kinda liked it better before the repair. Well, it works.

~~~~~

Now... to fix my slowly leaking brake line. Curse you Wilwood and your choice to use NPT fittings. Gah.

Update: I put teflon tape but what a PITA. Hopefully, that did the job.

~~~~~

Going a bit off topic, but since we mentioned MCM here earlier... I found this bit and since I have a Ruckus AKA Zoomer (though tires are flat and the carb is probably in desperate need of TLC), here are a pair of clips:
and

Last edited by Goobers; 07-27-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly I'd have the moto compo. Where I park for work is a fair walk from the turnstile, but there is motorcycle parking right at the turnstile. Slap a plate on, good to go!

Old 07-27-2019, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
Honestly I'd have the moto compo. Where I park for work is a fair walk from the turnstile, but there is motorcycle parking right at the turnstile. Slap a plate on, good to go!
Chuck it in the back of the Fit when you’re done?

Old 07-28-2019, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
You know it. It's a shame something like that didn't take off. I could see Honda selling an electric edition that slots in or clicks in to the back. If I ever come across another like it I might have to buy it.

I saw a City Turbo with Motocompo at Lane museum in Nashville about a year ago, looked so damn good.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?