2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
What is this topic devolving into?

And technically, this thread isn't one that should require help... its about what is done to the Fit.

That said, I'm off topic today (and recently), so I hope I can post something done to the Fit tomorrow.

Oh, I guess I can inspect my current brakes today for wheel clearance... before tomorrows work on the Fit.

update: I took a look, and I’m worried the clearance may be an issue without spacers, which I am loathed to do. It’s not because of the spacer itself, but rather, I wished the tires stuck out less than they do now (205/50/16 Continental DWS on 16x7 +43 Enkei RPF1 sticks out almost an inch more than stock tires+wheels, which is about 1/2 inch more than I would like).

On a related note, more of the rotor’s surface is turning blue, creeping out to the edge. It makes sense as the pad gets chewed away, it conforms more to the irregular shape created by the ridge. But he fact it’s blue (and spreading) means I should probably swap it out anyway.

Last edited by Goobers; 09-02-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I'm here bc I can provide useful input and knowledge
Is that what you call it!?! Maybe I’m missing something...

Anyway, the EBC’s have been broken in and they are awesome. They do make a lot of dust though but seeing as I don’t often get a chance to wash my car it is not a big deal at the moment. Adding the braided lines should help improve it even a little more. The pads do stink when you get them hot which Is a change. I thought something was wrong but it is normal.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Well, that was fun...

I went to work on the front brakes, starting with the somewhat helpful, test fitting.

Install instructions aside, in order to center up the caliper to the rotor, I couldn't use any shims between the caliper and the bracket it comes with. Then I put the wheel on to see... scrape, scrape it goes on the spokes (holding the wheel in by hand).

So, I decided to add one shim. It no longer is center lined with the rotor, but the caliper no longer scrapes the wheel even with lug nuts... except the caliper hits the wheel weights. =.="

Now what? Hope a tire shop can move the weights away from where the caliper will hit it and still keep it balanced? Return the kit? Get bigger wheels? Urgh... I'm gonna go to a tire shop and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by GolNat
They do make a lot of dust though but seeing as I don’t often get a chance to wash my car it is not a big deal at the moment.
You'd probably want to wash more often... I went for a period of time without washing my Fit... and now a pair of wheels has discolored slightly due to the dust. The dust basically ate/embedded itself into the clear coat.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
This weekend I finished the final part of Project Setrab ATF Oil Cooler by installing VEI Systems Dual Gauge to monitor ATF Pressure and Temperature,
below is the link to complete DIY:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1411832

Oh, I also want to upgrade the current microphone for hands free bluetooth phone call that come with the Sony RSX-GS9 head unit to a better version (also by Sony model ECM-DS70P still Made in Japan) and it just arrived:

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 09-03-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, what a goof I made.

After my last I went to a tire shop and was "surprised" that it was closed... eventually.... I realized it was because it was labor day, duh.

Speaking of goofs, not car related, but I had planned on going to the ariport to pick up my father... forgetting that his flight isn't today, but tomorrow. What makes it worse, is the fact I'm the one that bought the plane ticket!!!

Old 09-04-2018, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Install instructions aside, in order to center up the caliper to the rotor, I couldn't use any shims between the caliper and the bracket it comes with. Then I put the wheel on to see... scrape, scrape it goes on the spokes (holding the wheel in by hand).

So, I decided to add one shim. It no longer is center lined with the rotor, but the caliper no longer scrapes the wheel even with lug nuts... except the caliper hits the wheel weights. =.="

Now what? Hope a tire shop can move the weights away from where the caliper will hit it and still keep it balanced? Return the kit? Get bigger wheels? Urgh... I'm gonna go to a tire shop and hope for the best.
Whoa! +43 wheel and still scraping! I say, return the kit; too big.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
After my last I went to a tire shop and was "surprised" that it was closed... eventually.... I realized it was because it was labor day, duh.

Speaking of goofs, not car related, but I had planned on going to the ariport to pick up my father... forgetting that his flight isn't today, but tomorrow. What makes it worse, is the fact I'm the one that bought the plane ticket!!!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotkey
Whoa! +43 wheel and still scraping! I say, return the kit; too big.
It's not only that offset that presents the issue, it's also arch of the spokes. It scrapes at the far end of the arch just as its mating back to the main body of the wheel. On the caliper side, it's just the corner.

To solve this and put the caliper back on center with the rotor, I ordered a 3 mm spacer (the one shim was 0.03 inches, or about 0.76 mm). I kinda wish the hat part had a little deeper offset which could solve this too, but I suppose that it could make the rotor hit the brake dust shield. Oh well.

The balancing weights, on the other hand needs to move. This is an issue with the main body diameter being about 14", despite the wheel being 16".

Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Do you have RPF1 or something? (My work filter is properly blocking any potential photos)

You can get away with wheels the same size or even smaller, but RPF1 and the like are completely useless for clearing brakes.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have RPF1 or something? (My work filter is properly blocking any potential photos)

You can get away with wheels the same size or even smaller, but RPF1 and the like are completely useless for clearing brakes.
Yup, RPF1s. I didn't have a picture anyway.

~~~~~

So I talked to a tire shop... I was worried it was the case, and it was... "can't move the weights, because that's where they're supposed to go."

I mean, I suppose I could ask them to use clip-ons on alloy wheels... but... nah.

So, my only alternatives are... return them or buy bigger wheels.

The reason I bought this kit was because I have the FastBrakes rear disc swap coming, and those are 11" rotors, I figured I'd get something bigger than 11" for the front. As I've probably said somewhere, I'm not big on returning things I've bought. In addition, I've already opened a many of the sub-packages of the kit, plus I have a bunch of other needed parts for this setup bought separately. So it's a bit of a hassle to deal with.

I'll try shopping around to see if I can find a wheel with a bigger main body to clear the brakes, for an acceptable (to me) price.

Even though I really shouldn't be spending anymore money as there are other things going on (nothing negative, except to my wallet). Maybe I'm spending to take my mind off things?

On the flip side, if I buy the new wheels... what will I do with the old ones? I'm not big on reselling things either.

Huh, I wonder if the stock wheels will fit.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
You can probably fit different 16" wheels. Like I said, RPF1 suck for brake clearance.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
You can probably fit different 16" wheels. Like I said, RPF1 suck for brake clearance.
I’m changing my plans.

I just sent an email to FastBrakes to see if I can cancel my order for the rear brake swap. If I can, that’s one less thing to contend with... and one less reason to push for a big brake kit. Then, I’ll try to see if I can return the bbk.

Though, the reason I chose to do the do the rear swap was because I had to do front brake work, it’s just that work wasn’t initially the bbk, and instead dealing with my overheating rotors (due to what is ultimately my laziness). It was ping ponging reasons.

The real minimum brake work I have to do in reality, is just replacing front pads and rotors. Which financially, is less than $200... compared to new rear brake setup, new front brake setup, new wheels, bits and pieces... ballparking something like $2000-$2500 (depending on the wheels). Sure, I “could” do all that for less, but that potentially involves another dislike of mine.

Personally, I would like to do the bbk and rear swap, but it’s getting too messy for my tastes.

update 1: Fastbrakes responded... order can be cancelled, but I have to pay a 15% restocking fee, something like $130. Ouch.

If the other order is going to be the same, that’s just painful.

Last edited by Goobers; 09-04-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Personally, I would like to do the bbk and rear swap, but it’s getting too messy for my tastes.
Can be done. Simply replace RPF1's. I've seen AP Racing BBK's on +45 16" TE37 (Rota, I think).
Edit: it was VR Te37 Sonic +48 w/ 3mm spacer to accomodate the BBK.

Last edited by hotkey; 09-04-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotkey
Can be done. Simply replace RPF1's. I've seen AP Racing BBK's on +45 16" TE37 (Rota, I think).
Edit: it was VR Te37 Sonic +48 w/ 3mm spacer to accomodate the BBK.
Rotas? No thanks. Even with my Enkeis, I worry about the spokes breaking on hitting potholes and whatnot (I've already hit a few hard enough for the rims to make contact with the asphalt)... youtube videos of that happening to Enkeis are practically non-existent (or they're pretty hard to find)... Rotas, on the other hand, you can find videos on them broken a little too easily.

Volks are $400 to $550 EACH wheel... plus, I don't really like that style anyway. There doesn't seem to be many, if any images/videos of Volks breaking... but a few of them bending... which is probably more indicative of the impact severity than wheel strength.

Let's see, $40 on pads, $120 on rotors, 15% restocking fee for rear swap (~$130 to $150), potentially 15% restocking fee on front BBK (another ~$100?) or roughly $390 to get back to "not-upgraded-but-problem-solved" condition.

VS

$935 for rear swap, $700 for front BBK, and anywhere between $500 to $2000 for wheels...

I think I'll cut my losses now.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I think I'll cut my losses now.
I would too. I looked at a BBK for a few months and was going to go for it. Then when it came down to it the price of a BBK compared to an EBC upgraded rotor, pad and SS lines was $300 cheaper and I would not have to worry about wheel clearance issues. For Auto X I may have gone for it but for daily driver I could not justify the cost.

Also found this to help combat the brake dust issue. I am going to pick some up tonight and give it a try.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Ge8 radiator replacement

Today I replace the radiator and straightened the bent radiator support frame on my 2012 base 90k , I just purchased this project car for my teen daughter , the previous 1st owner hit something and did not know how to fix or maintain a car so he sold it to me after visiting a Honda service department for an estimate. I kept seeing transmission fluid even after tighting and checking every thing else. Found a crack in the bottom of the radiator where the transmission lines are.Also while I am there, replaced top a bottom hoses and new Honda type 2 coolant. Job took and 2 hours total. Also replaced the transmission filter and did the 1st or 3 drain and fills. Yes I have a lift and an air-conditioned garage ,makes these little life projects easier.
Still have to do all major services, brakes, rotors, tires, leaking main oil seal etc.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Ge8 radiator replacement

Today I replaced the radiator and fied the bent radiator support frame on my 2012 base 90k , I just purchase this project car for my teen daughter. The previous 1st owner hit something and did not know how to fix or maintain a car so he sold it to me after visiting a Honda service department for an estimate. I kept seeing transmission fluid even after tighting and checking every thing else. Found a crack in the bottom of the radiator where the transmission lines are.Also while I am there, replaced top & bottom hoses and new Honda type 2 coolant. . Also replaced the transmission filter and did the 1st or 3 drain and fills. Job took and 2 hours total, Yes I have a lift and an air-conditioned garage ,makes these little life projects easier.
Still have to do all major services, brakes, rotors, tires, leaking main oil seal etc.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by sean.haynes
Finished installing my Double Din Boss bvcp9675a and Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3 in the front and rear. Radio looks good and has android auto (finally) and the speakrs sound much more clear. very pleased!
I wanted to follow up and show what it looks like installed.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 PM
I also finish installing the Yakima Base Line system and RocketBox 12. Fits a bunch and is going to be perfect for my road and camping trips.
Not really a lot of windnoise.. I mean the car is already loud. This will be my first tank of gas with it on so Ill report back on MPG.. Im at half a tank as of right now and reporting 30MPG.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Purchased mine today

Hello Fit Freak Forum,
I've never given a car a name and think that will change now.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?