2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sean.haynes
I wanted to follow up and show what it looks like installed.

And you still think there’s no glare?

Cause I see it just from looking at your pictures. It’s a beautiful shot of your passenger side visor.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers

And you still think there’s no glare?

Cause I see it just from looking at your pictures. It’s a beautiful shot of your passenger side visor.

I guess im not as sensitive to it as you?

It really doesn't bother me.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I'm not arguing that it "should" annoy you. Just the fact that it's there.

Since this is what you stated in another thread...

Originally Posted by sean.haynes
I installed a Boss BVCP9675A from crutchfield.. I havent notcied any glare at all!
​​​​​​​

Old 09-08-2018, 01:00 AM
double din touchscreens really clean up the interior on almost any car. looks good. but yea...they almost all have glare...middle of the day, with no tint, mine is ridiculous, especially with the angle they sit at. sometimes i do miss having a volume knob and mechanical buttons.

make the most of it and add a back up camera if you dont already have one and are able to to so!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
Got the Evo 7 Recaro's mounted up today! I'll have to figure out the airbag and weight sensor stuff soon. These are way more tight feeling than my old DC5R Recaro's - perhaps these are in better shape?

Old 09-08-2018, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chantastic
Got the Evo 7 Recaro's mounted up today! I'll have to figure out the airbag and weight sensor stuff soon. These are way more tight feeling than my old DC5R Recaro's - perhaps these are in better shape?

Very nice !!!
I keep postponing my own Recaro project because I am stuck with the other project... I hope I can joint the club soon...
by the way, is the high bolster on the bottom part of the seat bothering you when you entering or exiting the car?
I am considering getting the SR-7F (flat bottom) but then I like the looks of the SR-7 (non F) version better... (just like yours with high bolster on the bottom part).
Please kindly advise. Thanks

Old 09-08-2018, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Very nice !!!
I keep postponing my own Recaro project because I am stuck with the other project... I hope I can joint the club soon...
by the way, is the high bolster on the bottom part of the seat bothering you when you entering or exiting the car?
I am considering getting the SR-7F (flat bottom) but then I like the looks of the SR-7 (non F) version better... (just like yours with high bolster on the bottom part).
Please kindly advise. Thanks
I'm following your thread to see what you do with the weight sensors! Do you know if the GD chassis is the same sensors? I don't want to rip up my seat, I'd rather sell it. The 'passenger airbag off' light is not on to my surprise - I assume it must need the weight sensors for the front, passenger airbag to work though?

I have had a few different sets of Recaro's over the years - DC2R, DC5R, and now these out of the Evo VII. These feel very tight on the legs. I can barely move. They feel alot tighter than the DC5R seats, but maybe these are just in better condition. Anyway, once you learn how to get out of the seats it's really not hard at all. You just lean inwards, lift your first leg outside over the bolster, then then the rest is easy. Reverse to get in the seat. The only issue that I've learned from the DC5R seats is that over time the fabric on the bolsters wears out very fast if it's made from Alcantara.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'm following your thread to see what you do with the weight sensors! Do you know if the GD chassis is the same sensors? I don't want to rip up my seat, I'd rather sell it. The 'passenger airbag off' light is not on to my surprise - I assume it must need the weight sensors for the front, passenger airbag to work though?

I have had a few different sets of Recaro's over the years - DC2R, DC5R, and now these out of the Evo VII. These feel very tight on the legs. I can barely move. They feel alot tighter than the DC5R seats, but maybe these are just in better condition. Anyway, once you learn how to get out of the seats it's really not hard at all. You just lean inwards, lift your first leg outside over the bolster, then then the rest is easy. Reverse to get in the seat. The only issue that I've learned from the DC5R seats is that over time the fabric on the bolsters wears out very fast if it's made from Alcantara.
Hello, Thank You for following my thread, I feel a bit embarrassed though that me the starter of my thread had not finished my Recaro project years after I start that thread , while you (and several others) who is reading my thread had successfully change several different Recaro Seats in the same period
I don't think the GD have the same sensor arrangement (as far as I recalled from reading about it), but I might be wrong,... I also don't take apart my original seat because I want to keep it, but I found a very cheap GE passenger seat (complete with all the sensor) on eBay and turn out the seller is a member of FitFreak and he sold it to me at very friendly price,.. but for GE you will need to rip it apart because you need not just the weight sensor but also the thin electrode sensor...

Last, Thank You for your input regarding the high side bolster... I think I will follow your footstep and buy the high bolster version... a little impracticality but look way much better.

Congratulation again for your Recaro

Old 09-09-2018, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I spent my entire weekend on my table desoldering and soldering to upgrade 14 pieces of op-amp inside my Zapco ASP-X4 electronic crossover from OPA-275 to MUSES01...
it is really a pain (and slow progress) to work with SMD connection...
but the result is so satisfying that
In summary, even if I stop at this stages, my current system is by far the best sounding car audio system I ever own...
and I had a few very nice car audio equipment in the past ... but nothing compare to this current one...

Of course I won't stop at this stages, and more upgrade to come... hopefully soon

more details and pictures of the step by step inside the link below:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1412402

Old 09-10-2018, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
Hello, Thank You for following my thread, I feel a bit embarrassed though that me the starter of my thread had not finished my Recaro project years after I start that thread , while you (and several others) who is reading my thread had successfully change several different Recaro Seats in the same period
I don't think the GD have the same sensor arrangement (as far as I recalled from reading about it), but I might be wrong,... I also don't take apart my original seat because I want to keep it, but I found a very cheap GE passenger seat (complete with all the sensor) on eBay and turn out the seller is a member of FitFreak and he sold it to me at very friendly price,.. but for GE you will need to rip it apart because you need not just the weight sensor but also the thin electrode sensor...

Last, Thank You for your input regarding the high side bolster... I think I will follow your footstep and buy the high bolster version... a little impracticality but look way much better.

Congratulation again for your Recaro
Thanks! I have a friend with a GD and I looked under his seats when they were still in the car, and could not see any weight sensors at least where they are on the GE. So I think you are right, they must be different. For the thin electrode sensor, does that need to go back into the upper seat cushion? I don't want to tear apart the Recaro's to put it back in!!

Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks! I have a friend with a GD and I looked under his seats when they were still in the car, and could not see any weight sensors at least where they are on the GE. So I think you are right, they must be different. For the thin electrode sensor, does that need to go back into the upper seat cushion? I don't want to tear apart the Recaro's to put it back in!!
Hi, to make the sensor work properly, you will need to put it inside the upper seat cushion (near the surface) so it can properly sense your back, so you will need to take out the Recaro's cover and put it under the cover.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
I think I'll cut my losses now.
Oh, how naive of me...

So I have new information about the Wilwood big brake kit. The 3rd party reseller on Amazon messaged me earlier saying because I opened it up to attempt installation, the warehouse won't take it back because it can't be resold as new.

Since I'm not one for doing resales, I'm (re)thinking about installing it... And it will necessitate new wheels.

I should check to see if the stock wheels clear... that can at least stall the new wheel purchase.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
I should check to see if the stock wheels clear... that can at least stall the new wheel purchase.
You'll need spacers. 10mm at least. But that would require longer studs. Then, when you get the new wheels, you'll also need long lugnuts.

Hmmm.... Bolt on spacers maybe?

Old 09-12-2018, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotkey
You'll need spacers. 10mm at least. But that would require longer studs. Then, when you get the new wheels, you'll also need long lugnuts.

Hmmm.... Bolt on spacers maybe?
I measured the barrel of the stock wheels... it's the same, at just about 14".

I'm not going for bigger spacers or bolt-on spacers, the 3mm is pretty much the limit for me.

Putting aside the longer studs needing installation, I don't like how the front wheels stick out right now with the RPF1s. If I could push them back into the body a little bit, I'd be happy. Something like a +48 mm offset (splitting the difference between the RPF1 +43 and stock +53). So yeah, bigger/bolt-on spacers are a no go for me.

So, the decision is to go with new wheels... and to play it safe, bigger wheels (17" range), since the VR TE37 wheels are the only wheels mentioned so far to fit the BBK. Having surfed around most of yesterday for wheels, it seems like the ones I've settled on are the Advanti Storm S1 17 or just 17" version of the RPF1. They're pretty similar in specs. 17x7 +43 & 14.6 lb for RPF1 and 17x7 +40 & 14 lb for S1 17. The S1 are less expensive and lighter, but stick out more. Why is it so hard to find 4x100 +48 wheels? It's too bad that the silver is too bright (which I have now), the black is too dark and the grey (S1 17) only comes in the 15" size. Yes, there's also a bronze option, but that doesn't fit my tastes. The Kosei K1 TS is also another possibility at 17x7 +42 & 15 LB, comes in grey (isn't much, but "darker" than silver) and cheaper on TireRack than the RPF1 and S1 (for now anyway). It's just... looks way too much like the RPF1.

Actually, no... the decision right now is to go with new pads and basic stock sized rotors, because I just got new tires 2 months ago and I'll put off the new wheels (and inevitable new tires) until they're about done. After which point, I'll then install the BBK. The pad and rotor will be a stop-gap until then to lessen the butthurt.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, no... the decision right now is to go with new pads and basic stock sized rotors, because I just got new tires 2 months ago and I'll put off the new wheels (and inevitable new tires) until they're about done. After which point, I'll then install the BBK. The pad and rotor will be a stop-gap until then to lessen the butthurt.
That's a good idea. I think WedsSport's TC-105N will also fit. An old design but still works.
Check the specs: WedsSport Brand Site | WedsSport TC105N | weds CO., LTD.

I'd suggest the Leonis Navia 02 at 16" e+45, but it's a bit narrow (6") for 205 tires.
https://www.weds.co.jp/leonis/index.html

Old 09-13-2018, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member

Finally finished construction of the bed! I just need bedding now. I'm not sure what to get to be honest. I don't want to spend too much money, but I want to be comfortable.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotkey
That's a good idea. I think WedsSport's TC-105N will also fit. An old design but still works.
Check the specs: WedsSport Brand Site | WedsSport TC105N | weds CO., LTD.

I'd suggest the Leonis Navia 02 at 16" e+45, but it's a bit narrow (6") for 205 tires.
https://www.weds.co.jp/leonis/index.html
I like the design of the TC-105N and the specs of the Navia 02 (especially the 17x7 +53)... but I have no idea if I'd be able to buy them and have them shipped to me.

Finally finished construction of the bed! I just need bedding now. I'm not sure what to get to be honest. I don't want to spend too much money, but I want to be comfortable.
That's too freaky... looks like coffins.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
I like the design of the TC-105N and the specs of the Navia 02 (especially the 17x7 +53)... but I have no idea if I'd be able to buy them and have them shipped to me.
I'll give you another one to think about... https://www.vividracing.com/advan-rg...151960408.html

Has a few finish options and sizes. That and the CE28 Club Sport are the two that I'm wanting the most. Just need to rob a bank. Both have a ton of caliper clearance.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I'll give you another one to think about... https://www.vividracing.com/advan-rg...151960408.html

Has a few finish options and sizes. That and the CE28 Club Sport are the two that I'm wanting the most. Just need to rob a bank. Both have a ton of caliper clearance.
Yeah, having had another look at the Leonis and Wedsport, along with what you listed, they're all a bit more expensive than I would like.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member

That's too freaky... looks like coffins.
Uhh lol. Not like you're laying inside of them.. anyway I'll post again when I get bedding figured out. Should cover it all up.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?