2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
I finally changed out the brake fluid in my 2013 Fit. And rotated all tires while I was at it. Fluid was dirty so I'm glad I got it done. I used two 12 oz Honda Dot 3 brake fluid bottles for the job.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Replaced my muffler. I had ordered the Mugen Fit muffler (Sport bumper)... but it was discontinued, so my order got unceremoniously cancelled.

So, I gave up and decided to try out the Tanabe Medalion Touring for the Fit. And if I'm honest, I dislike it a little. I like performance... but I don't like noise. It isn't "a lot" louder than the stock muffler, but it IS louder. And it's most noticeable at night or in my driveway, where the neighbor's and my house end up acting like an echo chamber. I care less about it during the day, but I usually get home from work late at night and even if I'm unsociable, I don't like bothering others around me too much. I've already bought and installed it, plus I'm not the type to return most things, so I guess I can only hope it doesn't bother the neighbor as much as I imagine it is.

Speaking of installing it... what a freaking pain the whole process was. It took quite a long time with an impact wrench to knock the old bolts loose, only to have one of them snap in half. So I had to put the car back down, clear the driveway, then drive to a nearby dealership with partially secured muffler to buy replacement bolts (and springs). Got home... restarted the removal process and the other bolt snapped. Good thing I bought two bolts! Then I had to fight with it, cause it practically welded itself stuck. Eventually, after (improperly) hammering my 1/2" socket extenders as punches, it got knocked loose. Then I had to fight with the leftover remains of the old gasket, hammering an old flat tip screw driver like a chisel to knock it off... then using the socket extenders as a hammer after my arms got sore from using the actual hammer at a weird angle (I don't have a lift, so I'm laying on the ground under a half raised Fit).

I also had a fight with the rubber hangers, but that was more of my brain failing to think "smarter, not harder." Eventually, a brain cell fired correctly and I remembered I had a wrench plier next to me and just squeezed it off... duh.

Maybe I did something wrong, but I think it's more of the nature of a new install (I hope). There was enough space between the two flanges (yes, with new gasket in-between) that the springs on the bolts basically bound up. I'm guessing that over time, that spring pressure with cause the two flanges to slowly pull the two together and squeeze down on the gasket between them.
Although I'm a DIYer and have replaced engines and transmission, nowadays when it comes to exhaust work I just take it in and let a muffler shop do the work. The last thing I had replaced at a muffler shop was the y pipe for our G35. $150.00 and it was done.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:16 PM

Just got a Fit recently
totally love it
Besides new tires what’s the first and least expensive upgrade people recommend?

Old 08-12-2018, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
New Tires

Mounted a set of "boring" (as someone said in the tire forum) H speed rated General RT43's from Tirerack. I went with 185/60 15's, which are now the stock size for the 15 inch steelies. $50 rebate plus a $50 gift card from purchasing General truck tires last year brought the price to where I couldn't resist. The Yoko Avid Envigor tires were almost down to the wear bars and one had a slow leak. Got over 40,000 miles on the Yoko's, which I consider excellent for a 560 A A tire.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Replaced shifter base assembly (including shifter), shifter base bushings, and cable end bushings/washers/clips, with Honda OEM parts. It fixed the sloppiness and rattling from wear due to previous owners riding with their hand resting on the shifter, as well as 94k miles of use. Much better.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by Phantisy
In my 2013 manual its on pages 86-87. I have an automatic so what I had to do (with car off and parked) turn the key to II and press and hold the unlock until I heard the locks click 2 times then let off and turn the car to I. After that you can turn it off.

You can also change the doors to lock when you take it out of park instead of when you hit 10MPH. You do the same as above but hold unlock instead of lock.

EDIT:
With a manual you just have to pull the parking brake and do the above.
So I was doing some random combing through old posts and came across this...I looked through my 2009 manual and see everything but this. I know this post is old as hell...but thank you so much for this as I have been iritated by forgetting to press unlock on the door before getting out of the car and going to get something out another door or the trunk. then im fumbling with the keys to double press the unlock button. or also when the lady is getting out of the passenger seat.

only extra "tip" is to press the unlock button and wait for 2 clicks beyond the initial button press. at first i was counting the button press click as the first click and it wasnt working

WOW! So happy!!!

original post btw:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1133515

Last edited by eulogy; 08-13-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Hey everyone - first post here. Been on here for a while, always checking out this thread. I'm looking into building a bed in the back, so I got these off of Rakuten!

Old 08-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Newbie here

what does ‘GE’ / ‘GK’stand for?
and any other ones I missed

Old 08-16-2018, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MontrealFit2012
GD/GE/GK are the codes for the model generation of the Fit/Jazz (they show up in the VIN), 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations, respectively.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 PM
I see
code words
thx!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
My front tire finally worn out, so I change it (today) from Michelin Pilot Super Sport 215/40ZR18 to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 225/40ZR18 to match the rear tire that I replaced few months ago.
This new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s is truly an improvement compare to the Pilot Super Sport in term of NOISE and Wear with more grip!

Of course, I need to change my spacer from the H&R 15mm spacer to a custom made 13mm spacer so this tire can fit.
The main goal to go back to 225/40ZR18 is, to REDUCE the Sharpness of my steering response... the 215/40ZR18 with the lower side wall provide crazy sharp, immediate, right away steering response with the lightest input from the steering wheel. But, this also means, I am always concentrating whenever I drive... and I drove a lot lately (40,000 miles in just 6 months)... and it got tiring to have race car response driving a Honda Fit ...
I am glad to report, that with this new 225/40ZR18 front tire, now my car feel Lazier, not immediate steering response, more comfortable... yeah.. I am getting old

oh, one more thing, I am really amazed with The BBS forged RF509 wheel that I use. It is very good quality because after at least 55k miles of use, the balance weight needed to balance the wheel is still the same weight!!! and I had go over many bumps on the road at very high speed!!!

Here are the link to the step needed to accomplish this:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1410102

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 08-16-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MontrealFit2012
GE = Generally Expensive once you get carried away with mods.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Door trim edge protection

Hi
anyone use rubber/plastic trim to protect the edge against garage walls etc?
looking for suggestions on what/where to buy
thx

Old 08-20-2018, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
@@BMW ALPINA Nice to see you still at it XD will have to find some pics of your full car.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wzlfit
@@BMW ALPINA Nice to see you still at it XD will have to find some pics of your full car.
Thank You WZLFIT

This weekend, I change my engine oil and filter, as usual, I use stock Honda engine oil filter with Motul 300V 0W20

I also cut several metal parts inside the front fender (this metal parts used to hold the inner plastic cover inside the fender), and edges of the front bumper that meet the fender, to prevent rubbing from my new larger tires:

after that,
I change my washer fluid cover (the part that hold it to the tank, broke):

I also replace my Sprintex Supercharger BELT and Flush the oil in the supercharger:

And I finally finished my Project SETRAB ATF (Tranmission Cooler):
Here is a link with DIY and lots of pictures:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1410395

Next week, I plan to isntall my VEI Dual Oil Temperature and Pressure Gauge to monitor the ATF, too tired to do it today (at least I already run and connect the wiring from the sensor for this VEI Gauge),
all I need is to install the gauge itself (interior).

This picture from VEI Systems website:

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 08-20-2018 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Forget that I also change my engine oil and oil filter
Old 08-22-2018, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
B 12 service done today. WIX engine and cabin air filters. WIX used to be a premium brand but I was not impressed with the quality. In fact, I took the old gasket off the old Honda engine air filter and used it on the new WIX element. Front brakes are ready for replacement. Got a set of genuine Honda pads on line and will install them, along with a brake fluid flush, in a day or two. All other items inspected looked excellent.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Today, I found out... like Nikita, I’ll be doing a brake service soon, both front rotors are turning blue, and not evenly across the surface.

My guess is last nights playing around was more aggressive than I thought.

As for it being uneven, I think it’s because I had replaced the rotors before I swapped out the calipers. With OEM calipers, the pad sat closer to the hub, creating a bit of a lip. Then the new Wilwood calipers made the pads sit right up to (and slightly past) the outer edge. So that lip is causing new pads to wear funny.

I guess I’ll try Wilwood’s own two piece rotor that goes with their DPHA calipers and fresh pads. Also, I’ll probably be doing a fluid bleed again to check for air.

i had ordered the Fastbrakes rear swap, so I’ll do a fluid change with the swap.

Last edited by Goobers; 08-23-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Finished installing my Double Din Boss bvcp9675a and Rockford Fosgate Prime R165X3 in the front and rear. Radio looks good and has android auto (finally) and the speakrs sound much more clear. very pleased!

Old 08-25-2018, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chantastic
Hey everyone - first post here. Been on here for a while, always checking out this thread. I'm looking into building a bed in the back, so I got these off of Rakuten!
Those look awesome! I've been trying to figure out a good curtains solution, especially for the back. Do you have a link?

Old 08-25-2018, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
I got photos of it developed.

(GE8 interior is so good)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?