2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 AM
Wow talk about mileage. My odometer just role 158,xxx Kilometers.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Finally changed my spark plugs.

I think its not too bad for 138k miles, of which 75k was with the Sprintex Supercharger.

The second spark plug away from the serpentine belt side was the only one that felt barely tight when removing. Basically, as soon as it "popped" and started moving, I could use my hand (on the extension shaft) to remove it. Where as the other three required the ratchet handle for multiple turns first.

There was no way I was fitting my torque wrench in that confined area, so I hope I put enough torque pressure when putting the new ones in. I definitely didn't want to strip them.

Used some cheap anti-seize from Autozone. First time I've ever used anti-seize. Initially I put on a good chunk, but a little bit was close to the tip and I was worried it might cause issues in the combustion chamber so I started wiping it down, just enough so it sat in the grooves of the threads. Also added it to the bolts holding the coil packs along with a touch of WD40 silicon lube to the main gasket of it.

Aside from the spark plugs, I also changed the serpentine belt and took out the leftover wiring for my HID kit. The HID bulb burnt out a while ago and I haven't bought a new one since I plan on changing the headlight housing again. I've been using plain H1 bulbs (it uses dual H1 bulbs instead of stock H4).

Last edited by Goobers; 03-26-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
I have successfully used the Permatex Blue Threadlocker on my spark plugs to hold them in place and "hand torqued" them without removing the air management plastic / metal work over the engine.

It would seem to me that using anti-seize would promote the loosening of the spark plugs on their own.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 AM
My fit after I put on my regamasters.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
I have successfully used the Permatex Blue Threadlocker on my spark plugs to hold them in place and "hand torqued" them without removing the air management plastic / metal work over the engine.

It would seem to me that using anti-seize would promote the loosening of the spark plugs on their own.
Originally, I did buy some locktite thread locker, but then decided to use anti-seize because I remembered constantly seeing that mentioned with spark plugs all over the net. Far more often than thread locker.

I also believe that anti-seize might promote loosening. That being said, I’m keeping an eye out for TCs and planning on getting a smaller torque wrench that’ll fit in the area to check it in the coming weeks.

I don’t have the stock intake manifold, So it’s mostly easier for me. The only problem is unplugging one of the coil packs from the wiring harness. It’s right under the (unused) 5th injector of the supercharger, which makes it hard to pinch the clip.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-27-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Shift extender

Installed this inexpensive shift extender. Wasn’t sure how I felt about it at first but it’s really growing on me.

Inexpensive shift extender

Old 03-29-2018, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Finally changed my spark plugs.

I think its not too bad for 138k miles, of which 75k was with the Sprintex Supercharger.
Yup, not bad at all. Just curious, what new plugs did you put in? One step colder? And what gap?

Old 03-29-2018, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hotkey
Yup, not bad at all. Just curious, what new plugs did you put in? One step colder? And what gap?
Using OE plugs. I didn’t actually check/change the gap... will have to do that when I check if it moves (threading).

Edit: I remember why I bought the OE plugs now, it wasn’t because I felt it was good enough. Rather I didn’t really know enough to make that decision. Instead, that was the spark plug the instructions the supercharger installation said to use, NGK IZFR6K13. It happens to be the same as OE.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-31-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jonnyss

Inexpensive shift extender
That's very nice! Shortens the distance /time your hand is off the steering wheel to shift gears! Very nice indeed!

Old 03-30-2018, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjanaya21
Can I ask a general question here...

Why does it seem that EVERYONE and their moms on this site LOVE LOVE LOVE the window visor things???
I could be wrong. Really I could be wrong.
But I'm not a big fan of the window visor thing either. Even though, yes I get they serve a function.

So really? If you like them? Enjoy.

But IMO, they look kind of fad like. Remember about 10-15+ years ago when everyone was putting "Bug Deflectors" on their front hoods?

Don't see those nearly as much anymore. I suspect the same will happen with Window Visors.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Window Visors

Ostensibly, they enable one to lower the windows an inch or two, while keeping out the rain. Since the majority of people I see utilize their A/C ALL the time, I have to wonder about the percentage of usage. I'm with you though, I despise the looks of the visors, and I don't have them on my Fit.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM
Hood prop

How did I never know there was an additional hood prop on the Fit? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve struggled under the hood and propped it in a different way. This just made my Saturday.

Lower hood prop

Upper hood prop

Last edited by jonnyss; 03-31-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-31-2018, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fittmann
Originally Posted by fitchet
I could be wrong. Really I could be wrong.
But I'm not a big fan of the window visor thing either. Even though, yes I get they serve a function.

So really? If you like them? Enjoy.

But IMO, they look kind of fad like. Remember about 10-15+ years ago when everyone was putting "Bug Deflectors" on their front hoods?

Don't see those nearly as much anymore. I suspect the same will happen with Window Visors.
Ostensibly, they enable one to lower the windows an inch or two, while keeping out the rain. Since the majority of people I see utilize their A/C ALL the time, I have to wonder about the percentage of usage. I'm with you though, I despise the looks of the visors, and I don't have them on my Fit.
For some folks, it is a fad. But just because "some" people do it as a fad, doesn't mean everyone else does.

Just as you guys might despise them, I think the OEs look good enough that it doesn't detract from it's functionality (which is why I use them). I can't say the same for the non-OEs though.

There are a few other things I view as a fad, but I won't bother going into since that's not what this thread is about.

~~~~~

As for this thread... I haven't done anything to my Fit today (I will be using/abusing it as I do my deliveries later at work). But I did get some parts, today and yesterday, I will be using to do something to it.

arrived yesterday:
-1/4" bicycle torque wrench (should go up to 221 in*lbs) to check my spark plugs later.
-1/2" digital torque adapter, so I can check the relative accuracy of the 1/4" and 3/8" 1/2" torque wrenches I have.
-replacement remote for my Viper remote starter/alarm, which I paired yesterday.

arrived today:
-multiple brake line brackets to replace one or more of the brackets I broke when I replaced a hardline to braided lines which in turn were to assist the new 4-pot wilwood front brake calipers. I bought multiple since I wasn't sure which part number was the right one for the one I broke. (edit: actually, I decided to do it before going to work... since that noise drives me nuts. Not too hard, lift rear of car, take off wheel and then you have direct access to the bracket).
-and finally, a new belt auto-tensioner... that I hope gets rid of the "sounds like dry bearings" noise I've been getting for a long time.

Again, I haven't done any of the work yet... will probably wait until monday since that's my day off.

Last edited by Goobers; 03-31-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member

After daily driving an Integra Type R for 15 years , bought this in 2013. Bilstien coilvers and ADVAN wheels make this a worthy successor !

Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Do you still have the ITR?

Old 03-31-2018, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
No, sold in 2013. One owner car , no rust Arizona car , burned a bit of oil with 110k miles, sold for $12.5k. I was happy at the time , maybe a $30k car in 5 years ?

Old 03-31-2018, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Oh man, I'd have bought that in a second.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
For some folks, it is a fad. But just because "some" people do it as a fad, doesn't mean everyone else does.
IMO whether it is a fad, or becomes a fad, doesn't have anything to do with why people are doing it today. I assume, almost everyone that puts window visors on their vehicle, put them on their vehicle because they really want them.

Whether it becomes a fad? Can only really be defined in the future.
Like I said, I compare it to the front hood bug deflectors, that use to be so popular. About 10-15 years ago, you couldn't go into a parking lot without seeing a LOT of cars and trucks with them. Today? No so much.

But even today? You can buy them if you want them, and some people still want them.

The only way to really know of define whether window visors are a fad, is if it becomes a fad, that is "Fades Away". If in 5-10 years it falls out of popularity, then it WAS a fad.

Like I said, I could be wrong. Maybe people will continue to buy them, install them, and like them.
I don't particularly like the look. The real advantage they create seems pretty minimal as far as application in the real world.
My fear would be they mess with the vehicles design aerodynamics.
I personally don't want them. I think the vehicle, any vehicle, looks better without them.

I could say nearly the same thing about Auto Bra's. For a while in the late 80's and later, they were the cool thing to put on your vehicle. Today? Not so much.

But again, I don't know, we'll see what the lasting power of Window Visors become.
Whatever it becomes, it's still a product I personally wouldn't want, but I don't mean to inflict my personal opinion about them on anyone that likes them. If you like them? Go for it.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Replaced my auto-tensioner... much better, I can actually hear the supercharger (again) even though the engine is only idling.

The old tensioner spun very freely when I tested it after removing... a little too freely, just as if there was no lube/grease in there.

I decided not to check the spark plugs, especially since I started the car to check the belt noise. Plus, I have other errands to run (and it's still cold). I'm gonna wait a little bit more. Hopefully, if its backing out, it will have backed out enough for me to actually know by then and not just wonder.

update on auto-tensioner: After some driving it, for some reason feels like the Fit has more pep in it. It definitely had more pep after getting it back from the rebuild.

So I'm thinking its one of two things, it's a placebo this time and I'm totally imagining it or it really does have that little bit of pep.

If it does have it, the only guess I could come up with was condition of the old auto-tensioner. Even though the auto-tensioner freely spun in my hand after taking it out, it might be causing a little bit of drag on the belt when it's applying tension due to lacking grease (causing excess friction in the bearings?). The new auto-tensioner actually refused to spin freely in my hand... and I think its because it's filled with grease.

Last edited by Goobers; 04-03-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:19 PM
this week i had to UNDO my interior led-light and put back the oem... the led i bought (cheapo) was not able to handle the dimming (i assume) and went into this weird blinking and/or off-completely mode... it claims it had some resistance inline, but it didnt get HOT like i was reading some leds should/would - and the dimming function from the door really was confusing it...

as far as window-visors, yup - theyre probably a fad, but theyre also USEFUL for me... and just like the bras are probably useful in humid-places for bugs, the visors actually allow me to park with cracked-windows in so-cal during winter when it might even rain... of course, ive learned (the hard way) that i need to be careful and not let the crack-open go below the visor... back-in-the-day there used to be a little ledge to catch and divert the rain (along with the windows being more vertical, overall) that meant i didnt need (or know about) them... anyways - as cars change designs, different things become useful or fad-ish; as yall mentioned... btw - i have tried leaving the window-cracked on the freeways, but it isnt effective (like the a/c); so if i were not an 70% surface-street-driver, the visors would not be useful... :-)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?