3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GK Fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Cichlid_visuals
Careful with standard steel wool, it fragments easily and can oxidize aka rust very quickly clogging the can instead of baffling it, wich will cause more blow by from crankwaste and pressure building up. Our motors dont produce enough crankcase pressure to really expel liquid oil via the block breather, especially upwards fighting gravity, i would keep it empty, the internal chambers are more than baffled enough to collect oil vapor along the sides, flow is more important when the pcv valve opens.
Thanks for the info! No stainless wool, got it!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by bdcheung
ok I just checked and the steel wool I used is indeed stainless. Still gonna remove it though if that's the conventional wisdom.

Nono stainless is what you want. Its much more durable, u want it in the coarser grade as well for better flow and less clog, less fragile as well. Ive seen people use regular steel wool, what a mess! Makes a rusty nasty rats nest out of your catch can.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Not a rigorous measurement, but the dash line is 30" and the first solid line is 90" from the rear bumper. Those gridlines are a lot closer than you think.

Hello! Do you have a description of how to connect the camera? Thanks!

Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
About the wool:

I've read an embarrassingly huge amount about catch cans on Fits and many other cars. Also in a past life I worked around large fluid tanks and coalescing oil was a primary goal of ours. We separated oil from cleaners so the cleaners could be reused many more times. Using media like steel wool is more useful when separating liquids from liquids, although we used plastics. In our cases with these cars, gravity is our friend.

For the most part, you don't need anything in the can. The only reason oil makes it from the lowest point and up into your intake is because of air velocity. The idea of the catch can is that when the air enters the higher volume chamber, it loses velocity, and gravity begins to win because the heavier oil falls to the bottom.

I'll be installing mine as soon as it arrives and my current plan is to check and empty during my oil change - 7500 miles.

Final thought - if using the wool gives you a better feeling, that is fine, just make sure it can't move or change properties (rust), or degrade with time, as previously mentioned.

Random 2 cents from me. . CARRY ON!

edit: Yes there are vapor pressures and all kinds of other scientific stuff that could probably be debated and perfected if someone wanted to get into centrifuges and other fancier stuff... I'm pretty sure VW has used a centrifuge design at some point. Our goal, I think what we are all doing is plenty good

edit #2: Something I have noticed while watching reviews of higher end, $100+ systems, is that because they are truly engineered to work better, they catch much more water. Condensation does happen in engines, but I am really not as worried about it in the same way I worry about oil. A little moisture is more likely to help clean, but that is only my opinion.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 07-27-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: details
Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
for the guys with knowledge.... what happens when someone uses a breather? what would happen if that pressure from the pcv, gets vented to atmosphere?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
for the guys with knowledge.... what happens when someone uses a breather? what would happen if that pressure from the pcv, gets vented to atmosphere?
The whole system operates under vacuum so you're just introducing ambient air into the system, I'm guessing.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, it's already metered air. You can see it reenters post-MAF.

So it will run lean or rich depending on whether it breathes in extra ambient or vents out crankcase air, respectively.

At least, that's what I think happens. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
It also has exhaust gas sensors, though, and if it senses a lean or rich condition, the ECU should adjust the fuel trim (and maybe valve timing?) accordingly. If it is too far out of spec it may throw a code.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
True. I'm sure it has a knock sensor as well to detect detonation if it's running too lean. Regardless, don't use the vent on a catch can unless you can tune for it.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:01 PM
Venting straight to atmosphere is only useful on engines that have significant crankcase pressure, like my semi built b16b in my civic, my valve cover has two large hose barbs welded onto it, wich route straight to a catch can with huge filter on top where my battery use to be. At 9k rpm, the crankcase pressure is fighting the rotation of the engine, and causing excessive blowbye. So not really an issue on our l15b1, now the l15b7 turbo might be a different story, i can imagine much higher crankcase pressure in the boosted version of our motors.

Good info from cyclingfit! 👌

Last edited by Cichlid_visuals; 07-26-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
okay, good info. looks like the consensus is .... no point venting to atmosphere and running breathers.

will post up pics o my oil catch can .... soon ish ... its finally installed!

Old 07-27-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
okay, good info. looks like the consensus is .... no point venting to atmosphere and running breathers.

will post up pics o my oil catch can .... soon ish ... its finally installed!
Nice!

And yeah I see no point to the breather. Keep the system sealed as it was intended to be.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Oil Catch Can ....

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1407453

(its actually an air compressor, inline moisture trap. same thing)

Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Is the see thru part plastic or glass? I looked at one like that, but it was plastic and someone said it couldn't handle the heat for that application and it cracked.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:36 PM
Cool More "gifts" for my 2015 Fit!

Added a Rhino RS2500 roof rack and a Honda nose-mask (when did they stop calling them bra's)...oh yeah, added red accent wheel caps.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
The RV6 dp arrived.... and just finished mounting it... its a pretty straitforward job... ill post a sound clip as soon as it uploads to youtube

Here is the link to the vid...

Last edited by elkaku; 07-28-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Black lug nuts

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GK Fit today?-lugnuts.jpg  
Old 07-28-2018, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Is the see thru part plastic or glass?
glass

Originally Posted by elkaku
The RV6 dp arrived.... and just finished mounting it... its a pretty straitforward job... ill post a sound clip as soon as it uploads to youtube

Here is the link to the vid...
RV6 dp, stock b pipe, tanabe medallion ab...
its a good day indeed! that rv6 is the last piece I need to complete my car

sounds so good. are you planning on getting the car tuned? or, going with a ktuner?

Old 07-28-2018, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
glass

its a good day indeed! that rv6 is the last piece I need to complete my car

sounds so good. are you planning on getting the car tuned? or, going with a ktuner?

I have the Ktuner v2 already...just (in)patiently waiting on the open OEM map to arrive and then onto the dyno!

Old 07-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Hmm... this DP does look like a nicely made piece of hardware.
I bet car sounds way louder now.
Although I am not sure the Medalion was tuned to work its best in this setup...
I could be mistaken.
I have to say I am having hard time exercising restraint with this car and to make things worse my bumper-to-bumper warranty only ends in 2021.
But I promised myself I will not touch anything before the cat on this engine.
I bought my Fit for worry-free cheap transportation duty.
Still, I do get tempted when I see stuff like this.
Good job.
Hope you enjoy it.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GK Fit today?